mix - Re: [Mix] ISIAME2016

mix AT lists.kfki.hu

Subject: Discussion journal of the Mössbauer Community

Re: [Mix] ISIAME2016

  • From: drkuzmann <kuzmann AT caesar.elte.hu>
  • To: Frans Waanders <Frans.Waanders AT nwu.ac.za>
  • Subject: Re: [Mix] ISIAME2016
  • Date: Fri, 24 Jun 2016 11:55:07 +0200

Dear Frans,

I am sorry for my delayed answer, but I was out of the office in a holiday
excursion in the last 8 days, where I did not use internet connection.

I was shocked when I received your letter.

I fully agree with the all content of Prof. Reisner ‘s letter.

I ALSO CANNOT ACCEPT YOUR DECISION TO CANCEL THE ISIAME 2016 CONFERENCE.

First of all, because by this decision you might kill the continuation of
the series of ISIAME conferences which is one of the most important forum
of the Mössbauer community.

I cannot accept your standpoint that “ a successful conference or symposium
is based on sound sponsorship”. This type of conference should stand on its
own leg financed by the participants. The sponsorship is only the icing on
the cake. The conditions should be selected according to the budget.

There was an excellent ISIAME held in Parma in the rooms and corridors of a
bank. We do not need luxury conditions, if not enough funds.

The keypoint of a conference is rather the good and attractive scientific
program, the announcement of list of the talks of the invited speakers and
the topics in due time.

The relative few number of participants can be related that you started
with the organization very late.

You had four years for this organization. Conversely, the first flyer was
emitted about one year before the conference, and the utility of website
had also difficulties. You have not accepted sufficiently the advises,
critics and recommendations of the Executive Committee. The late
information could lead to loose a number of potential participants who used
their project money to participate at another conferences even within the
field of Mössbauer spectroscopy (where there are a number of competitive
conferences in this year).

I do not understand why you are not able to organize participants from the
industrial people, as was excellently done by Prof Pollak in 1996 in
Johannesburg. This would be good partly to show up for the industrial
people what the Mössbauer spectroscopy could contribute to solve their
problems, and partly to learn from the industrial people their problems
where the Mössbauer spectroscopy might or might not be applied. On the
other hand the participation of a number of industrial participants should
considerable improve the financial balance. This can work even in domestic
conferences in countries which have much less developed industry than South
Africa.

Another problem that many of the participants (including me and my wife) had
bought their non-refundable air tickets even from project or own money,
which is a considerable loss (and a lot of problem at cost accounting of
the project) for those who undoubtedly believed in this conference.

I STRONGLY SUGGEST TO YOU TO ACCEPT THE HELP OF PROF BARUTH-RAM AND FIND AN
APPROPRIATE WAY TOGETHER TO HELD THE ISIAME 2016 BETWEEN 4-8 SEPTEMBER IN
SOUTH AFRICA.

With best regards

Erno

Windows bitmap