mix - AW: [Mix] ISIAME2016

mix AT lists.kfki.hu

Subject: Discussion journal of the Mössbauer Community

AW: [Mix] ISIAME2016

  • From: "Michael Reissner" <reissner AT ifp.tuwien.ac.at>
  • Subject: AW: [Mix] ISIAME2016
  • Date: Mon, 20 Jun 2016 18:52:25 +0200

Dear Frans,

I am sorry, but I cannot confirm that I understand your decision to cancel
the symposion. A cancellation 1 year in advance might be ok, but not 10
weeks before the start. For you the cancellation might be the easiest way,
but you forget that people have paid a lot of money in advance, which they
will not get back. E.g. I have paid the flight for me and my wife, who I
wanted to take with me, some months ago. I cannot cancel this flight. I also
booked the hotel for us. Hopefully we can cancel this. As this would have
been my first time in South Africa, I have booked a pre-conference tour for
us, which I also cannot cancel without loosing a lot of money. I am sure
that I am not the only one who has such problems.

I do not know what you have expected. In my opinion I have expected in best
case 60 participants. What about the South African Mössbauer community? Are
they not involved or interested in this conference?

In principle such small conferences are much easier and cheaper than a
conference with 200 people. A small lecture hall at the university or even a
seminar room at the institute is enough. Coffee can be prepared and served
by students or secretary. This all is usually for nothing. By the way ISIAME
at Budapest was organized very well in that way. I never understood, why
organization of conference are nowadays always given to some agencies and
are hold in hotels, where you have to pay a lot for the infrastructure.

You wonder that you have only 11 registrations up to now, but I have to
remind you that the deadline even for the early bird registration is July
1st. You had a long list of invited talks. I suppose that everyone has
confirmed to come. A cancellation of 2 is not large number.

I am not astonished that you could not find sponsors for this small meeting.
I only wonder that you seem to have calculated with sponsorship money. Such
money should never be part of the budget calculation. If it comes, it should
be used to support people to come to the conference.

In 2009 I have organized ICAME. We expected , due to preregistration 400
participants. Due to the economical crisis 2008, all sponsors and a lot of
colleagues cancelled their participation. At the end we had ca. 250 people.
Nevertheless we could run the conference, because with some reductions and
because in my budget I have only assumed 150 full paying participants. More
serious was ICAME 2011 in Japan, because after Fukushima nobody wanted to
come. For the organizers it was very serious, but they never thought on
cancellation of the conference.

It is also a very bad sign for future conferences. If one cannot trust, that
the organizer will do everything that the conference can take place, many
will be very cautious to plan a partizipation, even when invited.

I understand that you are disappointed about “no interest”. But there are
some people who were interested, who are now alienated. I would have
expected that you cancel your contract and look on really cheap solution,
eg. at the university, which can be covered by the registration fee.

Only to mention, there was a few weeks ago msms conference with only 30
participants. But people say it was very good program and interesting
discussions.

I hope this is not the end of the series of ISIAME conferences.

Best regards

Michael

Asoc.Prof.Dr.Michael Reissner

TU Wien