fizinfo - [Fizinfo] Stat Fiz Szeminarium

fizinfo AT lists.kfki.hu

Subject: ELFT HÍRADÓ

[Fizinfo] Stat Fiz Szeminarium

  • From: StatFizSzeminar <statfiz AT glu.elte.hu>
  • To: fizinfo AT lists.kfki.hu
  • Subject: [Fizinfo] Stat Fiz Szeminarium
  • Date: Mon, 28 Oct 2019 17:22:51 +0100

# # # # # #

ELTE TTK Fizikai Intézet
STATISZTIKUS FIZIKAI SZEMINÁRIUM

2019. október 30.

szerda

11.00

Arash Ghahraman

ELTE Department of Theoretical Physics

"Investigating viscous surface wave
propagation modes in a finite depth fluid"

In this seminar, we present the effect of
viscosity on the propagation of free-surface
waves in an incompressible viscous fluid
layer of arbitrary depth. While we focus on
the properties of linear surface waves in
more detail, the dependency of the parameters
will be discussed. In the linear case, we
show that in shallow enough fluids, no surface
waves can propagate. Even in any thicker fluid
layers, propagation of very short and very
long waves is forbidden. When wave propagation
is possible, only a single propagating mode
exists for any given horizontal wave number.
According to the numerical results, there can
be two types of non-propagating modes. One
type is always present, and there exist still
infinitely many of such modes at the same
parameters. In contrast, there can be zero,
one or two modes belonging to the other type.
Another significant feature is that KdV-like
equations. They describe propagating nonlinear
viscous surface waves. Since viscosity gives
rise to a new wavenumber that cannot be small
at the same time as the original one, these
equations may not exist.

1117, Budapest, Pázmány P. sétány 1/A, Északi tömb 2.54
honlap: http://glu.elte.hu/~statfiz