fizinfo - [Fizinfo] BME Elméleti Fizika Tanszék szemináriuma

fizinfo AT lists.kfki.hu

Subject: ELFT HÍRADÓ

[Fizinfo] BME Elméleti Fizika Tanszék szemináriuma

  • From: tcsaba AT eik.bme.hu
  • To: fizinfo AT lists.kfki.hu
  • Subject: [Fizinfo] BME Elméleti Fizika Tanszék szemináriuma
  • Date: Mon, 23 Feb 2015 13:24:00 +0100

MEGHÍVÓ

a BME Fizikai Intézete Elméleti Fizika Tanszékének

szemináriumára:

Marcell Stippinger
Department of Theoretical Physics

"Cascading failures in the mutual percolation of
interdependent networks"

Complex networks often cannot be described by single networks. To capture
systemic risk we use interdependent networks including usual connectivity
links within each network and the dependency links coupling nodes of
different networks. To study their resilience under failures we introduce
the process of mutual percolation. Interdependent networks are shown to be
more vulnerable to random failures than single networks: they exhibit
smaller percolation threshold and catastrophic breakdowns. The transition
is of hybrid character: While the order parameter is discontinuous, there
is scaling on one side of the transition point. We discuss the propagation
of avalanches of failures in interdependent networks. Simulation results
are presented for square lattices as starting networks under random attacks
of constant intensity. We measure scaling exponents beta and nu. Finally,
we propose a model with healing where reaction to failures is considered
and cascades are hindered.

Related publication:
M. Stippinger, J. Kertész: "Enhancing resilience of interdependent networks
by healing", Physica A, 2014, http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.physa.2014.08.069

Helye: BME Fizikai Intézet, Elméleti Fizika Tanszék
Budafoki út 8. F-épület, III lépcsöház
Szemináriumi szoba

Ideje: 2015. február 27. péntek, 10:15.