fizinfo - [Fizinfo] Stat Fiz Szeminarium

fizinfo AT lists.kfki.hu

Subject: ELFT HÍRADÓ

[Fizinfo] Stat Fiz Szeminarium

  • From: StatFizSzeminar <statfiz AT glu.elte.hu>
  • To: fizinfo AT lists.kfki.hu
  • Subject: [Fizinfo] Stat Fiz Szeminarium
  • Date: Fri, 13 Jun 2014 10:00:13 +0200

# # # # # #

ELTE TTK Fizikai Intézet
STATISZTIKUS FIZIKAI SZEMINÁRIUM

2014. június 18.
szerda, 11 óra

A szokásostól eltérő helyszínen!
É 4.52

Robert Thijs Kozma

Department of Mathematics, SUNY Stony Brook

"Limiting Behavior of Julia Sets of Perturbed Quadratic Maps"

Even the simplest nonlinear function z^2+c gives rise to chaotic
dynamics resulting in very intricate mathematical objects such as the
Mandelbrot set, and Julia sets. In this talk we first go over some
basic properties of the Mandelbrot set, and Julia sets. We then go on
to describe novel results on the behavior of Julia sets of certain
families of rational maps arising from z^2+c by adding a small
perturbation term lambda/z^2 and taking the limit as lambda -> 0. We
will see that for certain c values the resulting Julia sets have some
astonishing geometric and topological properties. Using symbolic
dynamics and Cantor necklaces, we prove that as lambda -> 0, the
Julia for this family set evolves into a space-filling fractal curve.

1117, Budapest, Pázmány P. sétány 1/A, Északi tömb
honlap: http://glu.elte.hu/~statfiz