fizinfo - [Fizinfo] BME Elméleti Fizika Tanszék szemináriuma

fizinfo AT lists.kfki.hu

Subject: ELFT HÍRADÓ

[Fizinfo] BME Elméleti Fizika Tanszék szemináriuma

  • From: tcsaba <tcsaba AT eik.bme.hu>
  • To: fizinfo AT lists.kfki.hu
  • Subject: [Fizinfo] BME Elméleti Fizika Tanszék szemináriuma
  • Date: Sat, 12 May 2018 18:17:17 +0200

M E G H Í V Ó - I N V I T A T I O N

Seminar Series of the Department of Theoretical Physics at the

Alexandra Nagy
(École Polytechnique Fédérale de Lausanne)

Numerical approaches to the master equation of open quantum systems

The study of the non-equilibrium dynamics of many-body open quantum systems has attracted increasing attention in recent years, due to the progress in several experimental areas. The time evolution of these systems is dictated by the Liouville-von-Neumann master equation which considers the interplay between the Hamiltonian dynamics of the system and the driven-dissipative processes. Typically, this dynamics leads to a non-equilibrium steady state for which a multitude of novel phenomena are expected, including the emergence of dissipative phase transitions. However, the theoretical modeling of out of equilibrium systems presents a major challenge since the computational eort scales exponentially with the system size. The study of these systems calls for the development of new eective methods.

In this talk I will discuss novel numerical techniques to the modeling of open many-body quantum systems. Firstly, I will present the Driven Dissipative Quantum Monte Carlo approach, a real-time pro- jector Monte Carlo method to stochastically sample the master equation. I demonstrate the eciency of our approach by applying it to the driven-dissipative two-dimensional spin lattice governed by the Heisenberg XYZ Hamiltonian.

Finally, I will also discuss some preliminary results on a variational approach based on the minimization of a suitable norm of the quantum master equation. I apply this method to the driven-dissipative one dimensional Bose-Hubbard model showing how the choice of the variational ansatz for the density matrix effects the accuracy of the steady state expectation values of certain observables.

Időpont: 2018. május 18. péntek, 10:15
Helyszín: BME Fizikai Intézet, Elméleti Fizika Tanszék,
Budafoki út 8. F-épület, III lépcsőház, szemináriumi szoba