fizinfo - [Fizinfo] Ortvay kollokvium

fizinfo AT lists.kfki.hu

Subject: ELFT HÍRADÓ

[Fizinfo] Ortvay kollokvium

  • From: szpl <szpl AT metal.elte.hu>
  • To: <fizinfo AT lists.kfki.hu>
  • Subject: [Fizinfo] Ortvay kollokvium
  • Date: Fri, 14 Oct 2016 22:56:31 +0200

ELTE Fizikai Intézet

ORTVAY KOLLOKVIUM

2016. október 20., csütörtök, 15:00-kor
Az ELTE Pázmány Péter s. 1/A alatti épületében
földszinti 0.81 előadóban

Tim Pennucci (ELTE Atomfizikai Tanszék)

"The Present and Future of Pulsar Timing Array Experiments"

Kivonatos ismertetés:
In the wake of the recent first detections of kilohertz gravitational waves (GWs) by the ground-based experiment LIGO, pulsar timing array (PTA) experiments are eager to open the next window onto the GW universe in the much lower nanohertz regime. In this talk, I will describe the present state of PTA science, focusing on recent results from the North American Nanohertz Observatory for Gravitational Waves (NANOGrav). I will also speculate on the long-term prospects of continuing to produce astrophysically interesting science, since PTA experiments require decade-long timescales to operate. In an important contrast to other GW experiments, I will make the argument that the ancillary science from PTA experiments is commensurate to their primary goals, and justifies continued investment in pushing this frontier of GW astrophysics.