fizinfo - [Fizinfo] Stat Phys Seminar

fizinfo AT lists.kfki.hu

Subject: ELFT HÍRADÓ

[Fizinfo] Stat Phys Seminar

  • From: StatFizSzeminar <statfiz AT glu.elte.hu>
  • To: fizinfo AT lists.kfki.hu
  • Subject: [Fizinfo] Stat Phys Seminar
  • Date: Fri, 11 Dec 2015 10:00:12 +0100

# # # # # #

ELTE Institute of Physics
SEMINARS IN STATISTICAL PHYSICS

Wednesday, 11 a.m.

Ferenc Molnár

Department of Physics and Astronomy,
Northwestern University, Evanston, IL, USA

"Stability landscape of power-grid synchronization"

Frequency synchronization of power generators is a necessary condition for the
operation of power-grid networks. The robustness of these synchronous states
disturbances can be quantified in terms of their stability. Using the
so-called
effective network model, we study the stability landscape in the space of
generator parameters. We demonstrate that there are non-uniform parameter
assignments that maximize stability significantly beyond what has been
previously established for identical parameters. We also show that the basin
of
attraction of the synchronous state at the optimum parameter assignment is
global, and is therefore topmost with respect to both depth and width. We
discuss the role of heterogeneity in the optimization of network dynamics, as
well as computational challenges of systematically identifying parameter
choices
that can enhance synchronization of any given power-grid network.

(with Takashi Nishikawa and Adilson E. Motter)

Room 2.54
1117 Budapest, Pázmány P. sétány 1/A (Northern Block)
home page: http://glu.elte.hu/~statfiz

  • [Fizinfo] Stat Phys Seminar, StatFizSzeminar, 12/11/2015