fizinfo - [Fizinfo] Stat Fiz Szeminarium

fizinfo AT lists.kfki.hu

Subject: ELFT HÍRADÓ

[Fizinfo] Stat Fiz Szeminarium

  • From: StatFizSzeminar <statfiz AT glu.elte.hu>
  • To: fizinfo AT lists.kfki.hu
  • Subject: [Fizinfo] Stat Fiz Szeminarium
  • Date: Tue, 24 Apr 2012 20:47:03 +0200

# # # # # #

ELTE TTK Fizikai Intézet
STATISZTIKUS FIZIKAI SZEMINÁRIUM

SZOKÁSOSTÓL ELTÉRŐ HELYSZÍN: É 0.89 (Jedlik Ányos terem)

2012. április 27.
péntek 13 óra

Harry L. Swinney

University of Texas at Austin

"Dynamics of oceanic internal gravity waves"

Tidal flow over continental shelf breaks and ocean bottom topography
generates internal gravity waves. These internal waves account for a
significant part of the energy budget of the oceans and hence play a
role in determining climate. Our group is conducting laboratory
experiments, numerical simulations of the Navier-Stokes equations,
and analyses of ocean data to understand the generation, propagation,
and scattering of internal waves. One study indicates that the angle
of the Continental Slope is selected by an internal wave resonance
phenomenon, which yields Continental Slope angles of only a few
degrees, much smaller than the angle of repose. To investigate
internal wave propagation in the deep ocean where the buoyancy
frequency decreases rapidly with increasing depth, we have analyzed
thousands of sets of measurements of salinity and temperature vs
depth at different locations in the oceans. We find that that
downward propagating internal waves often do not reflect and scatter
from the ocean floor as is generally assumed. Instead, at a "turning
depth" (where the local buoyancy frequency equals the tidal
frequency), the internal waves are reflected. Below the turning depth
the internal waves are evanescent [King et al., J. Geophysical
Research (2012)]. While experiments and models are yielding insights
into internal wave dynamics, many important phenomena such as wave
breaking and mixing remain poorly understood, thus providing
challenges for future research.

honlap:
http://glu.elte.hu/~statfiz