fizinfo - [Fizinfo] előadás

fizinfo AT lists.kfki.hu

Subject: ELFT HÍRADÓ

[Fizinfo] előadás

  • From: Bazsó Fülöp <bazso.fulop AT wigner.mta.hu>
  • To: Fizinfo AT lists.kfki.hu
  • Subject: [Fizinfo] előadás
  • Date: Mon, 12 Mar 2012 08:33:13 +0100 (CET)

Tisztelt Kollegák,

március 20.-án 11 órakkor a 3-as épület tanácstermében Hannu Reittu előadást tart. Minden érdeklődőt szívesen látunk.

Üdvözlettel,

Bazsó Fülöp

Hannu Reittu (VTT Technical Research Centre of Finland):

On an approach to graph compression motivated by Szemerédi's regularity lemma and Rissanen's minimum description length principle

Abstract: Szemerédi's regularity lemma is a key result in graph theory. It suggest, roughly speaking, that any large enough graph can be 'compressed' by partitioning its vertices into a bounded number of sets in such a way that edges between set pairs are distributed in a very uniform fashion. This could point an interesting direction in study of real life networks. Namely, searching for such a compressions of networks. A problem here is what is the exact target? We discuss one approach that is based on Rissanen's minimum description length (MDL) principle. It suggests that in such a fitting problem one should consider a trade-off between accuracy and complexity of modelling in such a way that the description length is minimized. This could result in a well-founded approach in defining graph compression and replacing heuristics like the Akaike information criterion in such modelling tasks.

| Bazso, Fulop |
| senior research fellow |
| Department of Theory |
| Institute for Particle and Nuclear Physics |
| Wigner Research Centre for Physics |
| Hungarian Academy of Sciences |
| P.O. Box 49, Budapest, H-1525, Hungary |
| Tel: 36 1 3922222 extension: 1238 |
| Fax: 36 1 3922742 |
| 36 1 3959151 |
| E-mail:
bazso.fulop AT wigner.mta.hu

  • [Fizinfo] előadás, Bazsó Fülöp, 03/12/2012