fizinfo - [Fizinfo] Atomki-szeminárium

fizinfo AT lists.kfki.hu

Subject: ELFT HÍRADÓ

[Fizinfo] Atomki-szeminárium

  • From: Zoltan Mate <mate AT atomki.hu>
  • To: mind AT atomki.hu, fizinfo AT sunserv.kfki.hu, "KLTE-ELM.FIZ."@atomki.hu, "KLTE-KIS.FIZ."@atomki.hu, hnucsoc AT sunserv.kfki.hu, potornai AT tigris.klte.hu
  • Cc:
  • Subject: [Fizinfo] Atomki-szeminárium
  • Date: Fri, 30 Sep 2005 12:18:48 +0200 (CEST)

Az MTA Atommagkutató Intézetének nagy előadójában
(Debrecen, Bem tér 18/c. 12. ép. III. em.)
2005. október 7-én, PÉNTEKEN(!) 11:00 órakor

Chris JEYNES

(University of Surrey Ion Beam Centre,
Guildford, England)

Thin Film Modification and Analysis With Energetic Ions

címmel előadást tart.
Az előadás előtt 10:30-tól tea.
Vendégeket szívesen látunk.

Máté Zoltán

Ion Implantation is a well established technology supporting a very wide
range of cutting edge thin film applications. It is essential to all
integrated circuits: for example, memory chips have been through
implanters dozens of times. Current work at Surrey includes new devices in
silicon carbide, diamond and III-V materials (including GaAs and ternaries
like InGaAs). These are aimed at important markets such as automobile
electronics, and microwave and laser electronics (for mobile phones and
CD players).

There are many other applications of ion implantation. For example, we
have recently modified the fouling behaviour of heat exchangers for large
process boilers, used ion beams to controllably modify polymer surface
topographies, and created the superconducting MgB<sub>2 by high
fluence implantation of B into Mg ribbon.

Fast ion beams can also be used for non-destructive elemental analysis of
the whole range of thin film samples. We routinely use Rutherford
backscattering of 2 MeV He+ ions from target nuclei to generate elemental
depth profiles in the surface 500 nm or so with a depth resolution down
to 10 nm, and 3 MeV H+ PIXE (particle induced X-ray emission)
with a proton beam focussed to 1 micron to generate images of minor and
trace elements. We can use 3He beams to follow the diffusion of
(heavy)water in polymers, and we can analyse large or wet materials in air
with an external beam. Examples will be given.