fizinfo - [Fizinfo] Meghivo

fizinfo AT lists.kfki.hu

Subject: ELFT HÍRADÓ

[Fizinfo] Meghivo

  • From: udvardi AT bolyai.phy.bme.hu (Udvardi Laszlo)
  • To: fizinfo AT sunserv.kfki.hu
  • Subject: [Fizinfo] Meghivo
  • Date: Tue Dec 10 16:53:01 2002

MEGH'IV'O
A Budapesti Muszaki Egyetem, Fizikai Int'ezet
Elm'eleti Fizika Tansz'ek tudom'anyos
szemin'arium'ara

T'ema:
Spin Transfer in Ferromagnet-Normal Metal Systems

El"oad'o:

Arne Brataas
Department of Physics
Trondheim

Id"opont: 2002. december 13.-'an 10.15 'ora

Hely : Budafoki 'ut 8 (F-'ep"ulet, III. lh., mfsz.,
Szemin'ariumi szoba

Minden 'erdekl"od"ot sz'i vesen l'atunk !

Udvardi La'szlo'

Abstract:

Mesoscopic ferromagnet-normal metal systems have recently attracted
considerable attention. Slonczewski and Berger proposed that a spin-
current could cause a switching of the magnetization orientation. The
idea is that the spin-current induces a torque, a "spin-torque", on the
spins of the conduction electrons, which subsequently transmit this
torque to the magnetization. We formulate a theory of spin dependent
transport of an electronic circuit involving ferromagnetic elements with
non-collinear magnetizations which is based on the conservation of spin
and charge current. The theory considerably simplifies the calculation
of the transport properties of complicated ferromagnet-normal metal
systems. We illustrate the theory by computing the spin-torque in three-
terminal systems with diffusive, tunnel and ballistic junctions. We
demonstrate that there is also a reverse mechanism: Precessing
ferromagnets are predicted to inject a spin current into adjacant
conductors. This opens the way to create a pure spin source "spin
battery" by ferromagnetic resonance. When the normal metal is a spin
sink this "pumping" of spins slows down the precession corresponding to
an enhanced Gilbert damping constant in the Landau-Lifshitz equation.
Our estimates for permalloy thin films explain the trends observed in
recent experiments.

  • [Fizinfo] Meghivo, Udvardi Laszlo, 12/10/2002