mix - [Mix] Ideas for new NRS applications at ESRF-EBS

mix AT lists.kfki.hu

Subject: Discussion journal of the Mössbauer Community

[Mix] Ideas for new NRS applications at ESRF-EBS

  • From: "Nagy, Denes Lajos" <nagy.denes AT wigner.mta.hu>
  • To: MIX <mix AT lists.kfki.hu>
  • Subject: [Mix] Ideas for new NRS applications at ESRF-EBS
  • Date: Wed, 16 Jan 2019 03:05:25 +0100 (CET)

Dear Colleagues,

as you surely know, ESRF has recently been shut down for 18 months for its major upgrade Extreme Brilliant Source (EBS). ESRF is organizing a series of "EBS Workshops" in 2019 (https://www.esrf.eu/EBSworkshops2019). These workshops will cover a multitude of topics, with the aim of gathering together users, staff and other experts to discuss and identify strategies for performing the best experiments with this new source.

The workshop devoted to the possibilities of nuclear resonant scattering (https://www.esrf.eu/nrs-workshop) will be held on 11-12 March in Grenoble. Among other speakers, I have been invited to give a talk and to contribute to identifying key scientific cases which will benefit most from nuclear resonance scattering with the EBS. I would like to ask you to come up with your ideas that could be included in my presentation. Indeed, I am convinced that the workshop should discuss as much of the ideas of the whole international Mössbauer community as possible.

I would be happy to receive your short suggestions preferably until 26 January (even a few sentences are enough to start with). Alternatively, you may wish to reply this call just on the mailing list, hopefully initiating a kind of open discussion within the community.

The expected impact of the EBS upgrade to the NRS activity at ESRF will be the following (thanks to Sasha Chumakov for this excellent summary):

From the machine side:

- no changes in flux (or, maybe, some + 10%);

- same vertical size of the e-beam (~ 10 μm);

- 20 times smaller horizontal size of e-beam (~ 50 μm).

Due to the nearly the same horizontal divergence, the initial (non-focused) beam will be practically the same as before EBS, but horizontal focusing will be ~20 times more simple.

From the NRS group side:

- A new, short-focal KB-mirror will be installed. with this mirror, a 200 nm x 200 nm photon beam size can be reached. Actually, if everything will be within specifications, EBS should deliver a photon beam of 100 nm x 100 nm size.

- In addition, an energy resolution of ~50 μeV will be reached. This should be moderately reliable, as 100 μeV is available already now and even has been delivered to users.

It is important to note that the nano-size and the μeV resolution cannot be provided at the same experiment, i.e. - either - or.

Please remember that the Synchrotron Mössbauer Spectroscopy (SMS) option allowing for energy-domain Mössbauer experiments at any bunch mode is now available at the NRS beamline.

My personal guess is that the true impact of the EBS upgrade to NRS will be the 200 nm x 200 nm (or even smaller) photon beam size rather than the 50 μeV energy resolution. Frankly speaking, at the moment I don't see scientific cases where this latter energy resolution is needed but, certainly, I may be wrong.

As concerning the nanobeam, it will open up probably at least two major fields.

First, ultra-small samples can be investigated (conceivably, under extreme conditions already available at the ESRF NRS beamline).

Second, it will make possible scanning Mössbauer microscopy in the direct space with a resolution of 100-200 nm in the direct space, i.e. down to a region which, until now, could only be accessed indirectly in the reciprocal space by small-angle and off-specular scattering in the forward-scattering and grazing-incidence geometry, respectively.

Your input of tangible science cases for these (or other) technical approaches (even in a very short, still unelaborated form) will be more than welcome. Needless to say, all input will be properly referred to in the presentation.

With best regards,

Dénes L. Nagy

Denes Lajos Nagy

Research professor emeritus

Institute for Particle and Nuclear Physics
Wigner Research Centre for Physics
Hungarian Academy of Sciences
H-1525 Budapest, P.O.B. 49, Hungary

Telephone: +36 1 392 2517
Mobile (office): +36 30 501 8579
Mobile (private): +36 20 981 0451
Fax: +36 1 392 2598
Skype: nagy_denes_lajos
E-mail (office): nagy.denes AT wigner.mta.hu
E-mail (private): nagydl AT gmail.com
Web page: http://www.kfki.hu/~nagy/

  • [Mix] Ideas for new NRS applications at ESRF-EBS, Nagy, Denes Lajos, 01/16/2019