mix - Re: [Mix] ISIAME 2016

mix AT lists.kfki.hu

Subject: Discussion journal of the Mössbauer Community

Re: [Mix] ISIAME 2016

  • From: "Frans Waanders" <Frans.Waanders AT nwu.ac.za>
  • Subject: Re: [Mix] ISIAME 2016
  • Date: Mon, 27 Jun 2016 22:06:30 +0200

Dear allThanks for the support Frank. I have spoken today to Raquel
again after virtually no contact possibilities the last week. I am in
Namibia busy with a project and will have email contact on my mobile
phone until tomorrow evening when I will be back with my student in the
field.I fully support the idea to keep ISIAME going and will again
highlight certain points mentioned previously1. The venue is not the
main issue but I had to cancel the Lagoon beach due to lack of funding.
Raquel will look into other options when I am still away and will also
liase with Krish about Ithemba labs, but I must mention it is some
distance away and there is no accomodation at the labs and I think it
might be difficult to get everyone there. The hotel costs he mentions is
about the same but then we have to organize some transport to and from
the venue.2. To have a usefull symposium we need much more abstracts.
With the initial deadline we had about 20 and with the extention only a
few additional ones came in - that being the main reason for me to
suggest cancellation. I am back on 10 July and if we have received at
least a much bigger amount to make a worthwhile symposium possible I
will be just as happy to get the wheels rolling. To have 30 or so papers
(currently about a 3rd as posters) means a 1 day symposium which is just
not on for all the expenses one has to pay.3. At the early bird
registration up to date only 11 people registered and we need more than
4 to 5 times this amount of registered people to again ensure a
worthwhile symposium.4. Raquel is going out of her way to assist and
without her help it would not be possible to get the ball rolling again
- thanks again.I trust this email will help to get everobody on board.
It has never been my intention to not let ISIAME go on but I was
dissilutioned with the poor respons for everything already done.Frans

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy smartphone.<div>
--------</div><div>From: Frank Berry
<berryfjz AT bham.ac.uk>
Waanders
<Frans.Waanders AT nwu.ac.za>,
Raquel Richardson
<raquel AT ap22ude.co.za>,

berryfjz AT bham.ac.uk,

kuzmann AT caesar.elte.hu,
edson AT cce.ufes.br,

haraldur.p.gunnlaugsson AT cern.ch,

sunhui AT dicp.ac.cn,
taozhang AT dicp.ac.cn,

wangjh AT dicp.ac.cn,

lazar.karoly AT energia.mta.hu,
'Stanislaw Dubiel'
<Stanislaw.Dubiel AT fis.agh.edu.pl>,
aderbal47 AT gmail.com,

stevensjohng AT gmail.com,

robi AT ifd.uni.wroc.pl,
reissner AT ifp.tuwien.ac.at,

vpopov AT imp.uran.ru,
Guido.Langouche AT kuleuven.be,

mix AT lists.kfki.hu,
israel.felner AT mail.huji.ac.il,

gdzhbj AT mail.iggcas.ac.cn,
mosslab.kz AT mail.ru,

yoshida AT ms.sist.ac.jp,

lttt AT physics.by,
kbr AT saao.ac.za,

Lodya.Lodya AT sasol.com,

S.D.Forder AT shu.ac.uk,
kubuki AT tmu.ac.jp,

magnet AT uestc.edu.cn,

amulaba AT uj.ac.za,
klingel AT uni-mainz.de,

ksenofon AT uni-mainz.de,
massimo.carbucicchio AT unipr.it,

jean-marc.greneche AT univ-lemans.fr,
jumas AT univ-montp2.fr,

lippens AT univ-montp2.fr,

jakub.navarik AT upol.cz,
libor.machala AT upol.cz,

nagy.denes AT wigner.mta.hu,
Deena.Naidoo AT wits.ac.za,

Gerrard.Peter AT wits.ac.za,
Hilary.Masenda AT wits.ac.za
>>> "Frank Berry"
>>> <berryfjz AT bham.ac.uk>
>>> 2016-06-27T11:59:00.805502 >>>

M I X - B U L L E T I N
News and views within the Mossbauer Community
Authors bear full responsibility for their contributions

Colleagues

I am writing because I am becoming concerned with the rhetoric of recent
emails and the possible damage to the well-being of our community.

I recognise the strength of feeling being expressed and do not in any
way wish to diminish the validity of that feeling. I would also make
clear that, after returning from MECAME on 6 June, I wrote to Frans
explaining that, with regret, I would not be able to attend ISIAME .

It seems to me that Frans has tried to fulfiorganise a successful ISIAME in a
good location in South Africa but, at
a crucial juncture , found the financial liability too great to
continue. Colleagues who have made non-refundable financial commitments
now face difficulties. Krish indicated last week the possibility of an
alternative venue. Would Krish be willing to explore this and , in
collaboration with Frans, find a way forward so that ISIAME could be
held in South Africa on the dates originally planned?

I would also like to suggest that we as a community give support to
Krish and Frans in their attempts to find a way forward. This will not
be easy for them and compromise by everyone might have to be accepted.
I do not think that further expressions of blame will be helpful and I
would encourage us all to act collegiately to resolve a situation which
is difficult for many people, albeit in different ways. ISIAME led by
Massimo has a good tradition and it would be most unfortunate if the
current difficulties led to its demise and fractures amongst our
community.

With my kindest regards and best wishes

Frank