ion - [Ion] New Ion Beam Handbook: "Data analysis software for IBA"

ion AT lists.kfki.hu

Subject: Discussion journal for the Ion Beam Community

[Ion] New Ion Beam Handbook: "Data analysis software for IBA"

  • From: Nuno P Barradas <nunoni AT itn.pt>
  • To: <ion AT lists.kfki.hu>
  • Subject: [Ion] New Ion Beam Handbook: "Data analysis software for IBA"
  • Date: Wed, 20 Jun 2007 16:18:17 +0100

Nuno Barradas and Eero Rauhala would like to invite the IBA community to look at the current draft of the new chapter "Data analysis software for ion beam analysis". We would welcome comments from the community aimed at improving this work. In particular we would invite colleagues to draw our attention to errors and significant omissions.

We append below the Table of Contents of the draft chapter. The full text can be downloaded from
http://projects.itn.pt/nbarradas/handbook/DataAnalysis200607.pdf

Contents

1. Introduction
1.1. Data analysis software
1.2. Scope of the chapter
1.3. Historical development and reviews of software programs

2. Types of codes
2.1 Direct calculation vs. simulation
2.1.1 The direct method
2.1.2 Simulation by successive iterations
2.2 Interactive vs. automated
2.3 Deterministic vs. Stochastic (Monte Carlo)

3. Capabilities of codes
3.1 Design basis
3.1.1 Techniques implemented
3.1.2 Experimental conditions supported
3.1.3 Description of samples
3.2 Data bases implemented
3.2.1 Stopping power
3.2.2 Scattering cross section
3.3 Basic physics
3.4 Advanced physics
3.4.1 Straggling models
3.4.2 Electron screening
3.4.3 Plural scattering
3.4.4 Multiple scattering
3.4.5 Simulation of resonances
3.4.6 Surface and interface roughness
3.4.7 Channeling
3.4.8 Pulse pile-up
3.5 Automated optimization
3.5.1 Fitting
3.5.2 Bayesian inference
3.6 Usability

4. RUMP and first generation codes

5. New generation codes - SIMNRA and NDF
5.1 Further capabilities
5.2 SIMNRA
5.3 NDF
5.4 Issues

6. Monte Carlo simulation

7. Other techniques
7.1 PIXE
7.2 Resonant NRA, PIGE, channeling, microscopies, etc.

EXAMPLES

Worked example DA1: Convergence of iteration.

Worked example DA2: Simulating composition changes by division into sublayers.

Worked example DA3 - RUMP

Worked example DA4 - SIMNRA

Worked example DA5 - NDF

Worked example DA6 - Monte Carlo

  • [Ion] New Ion Beam Handbook: "Data analysis software for IBA", Nuno P Barradas, 06/20/2007