ion - [Ion] New Ion Beam Handbook: "Pitfalls in IBA"

ion AT lists.kfki.hu

Subject: Discussion journal for the Ion Beam Community

[Ion] New Ion Beam Handbook: "Pitfalls in IBA"

  • From: <C.Jeynes AT surrey.ac.uk>
  • To: <ion AT lists.kfki.hu>
  • Subject: [Ion] New Ion Beam Handbook: "Pitfalls in IBA"
  • Date: Mon, 4 Jun 2007 13:48:21 +0100

New Ion Beam Handbook: "Pitfalls in IBA"

Chris Jeynes and Nuno Barradas would like to invite the IBA community to look
at the current draft of the new chapter "Pitfalls in Ion Beam Analysis". We
would
welcome comments from the community aimed at improving this work.

In particular we would invite colleagues to draw our attention to errors and
significant omissions. We will also be glad to consider suggestions for
further
literature references.

We append below the Table of Contents of the draft chapter: the full text
can be downloaded from http://www.surreyibc.ac.uk/index.php?target=13:79

=============================
Pitfalls in Ion Beam Analysis

C.Jeynes and N.P.Barradas
University of Surrey Ion Beam Centre, Guildford GU2 4JE, England
Instituto Tecnológico e Nuclear, 2686-953 Sacavém, Portugal

This work is a revision, and incorporates part of the previous 1992 IBA
Handbook
(the "Black Bible") chapter 12 by J. A. Davies, W. N. Lennard and I. V.
Mitchell

1 Introduction

2 Lost Beam and Events
2.1 Charge Measurement
2.2 Beamline Charge Exchange
2.3 Particle Identification
2.4 Deadtime and Pulse Pileup

3 Fixed Parameter Calibration
3.1 Solid Angle
NRA Standards, Bi implanted (Harwell) Standard, IRMM Sb Standard,
a-Si Standard
3.2 Electronic Gain Calibration
Fractional channel numbers, Correlated gain and offset, Detector
resolution, Pulse height defect
3.3 Scattering Angle
3.4 Detector Resolution

4 Algorithmic Issues
4.1 Rutherford Cross-Section Window
4.2 Electronic Stopping Cross-Sections
4.3 Plural and Multiple Scattering
4.4 Depth Resolution

5 Accurate IBA
5.1 Uncertainty Estimation
TypeA & TypeB, Uncertainty budget
5.2 Spectral Ambiguity
Multiple spectra, Restricting the state space, Butler's example
re-analysed:
5.3 Model-Free Analysis and Occam's Razor

6 Unwanted Target-Beam Interactions
6.1 Beam-Induced Heating
6.2 Beam-Induced Radiation Damage
6.3 Beam-Induced Sputtering
6.4 Charging in Insulators
6.5 Photon Emission in Insulators

7 Other Effects
7.1 Surface and Interface Roughness
7.2 Target Non-Uniformity
7.3 Thin Film Units

Dr.C.Jeynes, Senior Liaison Fellow
University of Surrey Ion Beam Centre
Guildford GU2 7XH
01483 689829
www.surreyibc.ac.uk
DataFurnace: www.ee.surrey.ac.uk/ibc/ndf

  • [Ion] New Ion Beam Handbook: "Pitfalls in IBA", C.Jeynes, 06/04/2007