fizinfo - [Fizinfo] Subject: Seminar Series of European Universities on Sustainability (25 Oct 2023 | 13:00 | online): "The three-legged chair" by Prof. Eors Szathmary

fizinfo AT lists.kfki.hu

Subject: ELFT HÍRADÓ

[Fizinfo] Subject: Seminar Series of European Universities on Sustainability (25 Oct 2023 | 13:00 | online): "The three-legged chair" by Prof. Eors Szathmary

  • From: Legeza Ors <legeza.ors AT wigner.hun-ren.hu>
  • To: fizinfo AT lists.kfki.hu
  • Subject: [Fizinfo] Subject: Seminar Series of European Universities on Sustainability (25 Oct 2023 | 13:00 | online): "The three-legged chair" by Prof. Eors Szathmary
  • Date: Tue, 24 Oct 2023 10:09:00 +0200 (CEST)

Dear Colleagues,

please find the invitation for a talk by Eors Szathmary as part of Seminar Series of European Universities on Sustainability.

Sincerely yours,
Ors Legeza

On Wednesday October 25, 2023 at 13:00 CEST, the first talk in this series will be delivered by Prof. Eors Szathmary on "The three-legged chair".

Abstract: The problem of sustainability has been likened to a three-legged stool, where the legs are the environment, the economy and society. The seat is knowledge integrating the different components. If there is no knowledge, there is nothing to sit on. If any one leg breaks, the whole chair topples. While we may consider humans as "super-cooperators", we are facing a test the likes of which we have never faced before. Our pressing global problems will either have a cooperative solution or no solution at all. The problem is really big. For a long time, in many areas, the view has held that the future will be essentially be like what the past was. That is now over, and in many areas there has been not linear but exponential change. A further threat is the existence of tipping points, where the system suddenly enters a different state. What is more, systems in transition can be bound together in vicious circles. The biggest problem is that we have little time left for mitigation. I shall illustrate these aspects with examples along the three legs.

To participate, please join the via the following Zoom link:
https://tum-conf.zoom.us/j/97821563422
Meeting-ID: 978 2156 3422
Passcode: 496241
We strongly encourage participation of doctoral candidates as they are the
leaders of tomorrow, and they play a crucial role in shaping a sustainable
future.

Seminar Series of European Universities on Sustainability
This seminar series is hosted by the Institute for Advanced Study at the
Technical University of Munich, (TUM-IAS) and takes place on the last
Wednesday
of each month during TUM lecture term.
It has become an integral part of the broader "Scientists meet Scientists |
TUM-IAS Wednesday Coffee Talks" series, and we extend a warm invitation to
everyone interested to join the TUM-IAS Wednesday Coffee Talks. If you would
like to receive regular updates on this seminar series and
receive the online meeting links, please send a brief message to
events AT ias.tum.de.

  • [Fizinfo] Subject: Seminar Series of European Universities on Sustainability (25 Oct 2023 | 13:00 | online): "The three-legged chair" by Prof. Eors Szathmary, Legeza Ors, 10/24/2023