fizinfo - [Fizinfo] Meghívó az ELI ALPS márc. 9-i szemináriumára

fizinfo AT lists.kfki.hu

Subject: ELFT HÍRADÓ

[Fizinfo] Meghívó az ELI ALPS márc. 9-i szemináriumára

  • From: <vera.horvath AT eli-alps.hu>
  • To: fizinfo AT lists.kfki.hu
  • Subject: [Fizinfo] Meghívó az ELI ALPS márc. 9-i szemináriumára
  • Date: Tue, 7 Mar 2023 09:03:01 +0100

Előadó: Varró Sándor (ELI ALPS, Szeged; ELKH Wigner FK, Budapest)
Cím: Quantum aberration in the phase space of entangled photons

Időpont: 2023. március 9. 9 óra
Helyszín: ELI ALPS konferenciaterme (Szeged, Wolfgang Sandner utca 3.)

Az előadás kivonata:
In the first part of the talk we attempt to give a brief exposition of the
scientific background of the subject we are discussing. The following points
will be highlighted: The coherent and squeezed states of a quantum-mechanical
harmonic oscillator (which may also represent a photon mode of the
electromagnetic radiation) have already been known immediately after the
invention of wave mechanics. Not much later, in 1935, Schrödinger introduced
the concept of entanglement (“Verschränkung”), when the quanta are distributed
coherently among several degrees of freedom. His analysis was motivated by the
critics due to Einstein, Podolsky and Rosen (EPR, 1935), of the quantum
description, in general. The experimental investigations of such fundamental
questions became possible after the invention of the laser. From the sixthies
of the last century the quantum states of light have played an important role
in the theory and practice of lasers and parametric processes in quantum
optics and quantum imaging [1], [2], [3]. The study and application of
entanglement have become one of the main ingredients of quantum information
science [4]. The non-classical states also naturally appear in the non-
perturbative description of the minimal coupling interaction of radiation
fields with charges, e.g. in the non-linear Compton process or in high-order
harmonic generation [5], [6], [7], so they have a role in attosecond physics,
too.
Recently we have derived the probability amplitudes of general squeezing
transitions, in terms of Gegenbauer polynomials [8]. On the basis of this
result we have also determined the photon statistics of thermal noise (black-
body radiation) amplification in a degenerate parametric amplifier. In the
meantime we have applied an analogous mathematical procedure for the non-
degenerate process producing EPR-type entangled photon pairs. In the second
half of the talk we shall discuss the results of the latter study. The photon
statistics of the entangled photon pairs have been calculated, in a close
connection with the quantum phase formalism, which we have already introduced
earlier [9]. It will be shown that in a special case, the derived probability
amplitudes reduce to the Zernike functions (polynomials), well-kown in the
classical theory of aberration in optical imaging. The quantum Zernike
polynomials depend on the phase-space variables, and they form a complete set
of orthogonal aberration functions. Thanks to these results, it is possible to
quantitatively assess the parametric photon sources, for example, in terms of
the corresponding Zernike moments.