fizinfo - [Fizinfo] Szemináriumok - Seminars: Salamon Péter

fizinfo AT lists.kfki.hu

Subject: ELFT HÍRADÓ

[Fizinfo] Szemináriumok - Seminars: Salamon Péter

  • From: Szeminárium koordinátor <sem-admin AT szfki.hu>
  • To: SZFI Szeminárium <seminar AT szfki.hu>,Fizinfo <fizinfo AT lists.kfki.hu>
  • Cc: Fizinfo <fizinfo AT lists.kfki.hu>
  • Subject: [Fizinfo] Szemináriumok - Seminars: Salamon Péter
  • Date: Thu, 7 Jan 2021 06:26:02 +0100 (CET)

SZFI SeminarSalamon PéterWigner RCP SZFILiquid crystal spherical caps in
magnetic fieldTuesday, 12 January 2021, 10:00, video conference,
https://letsmeet.wigner.hu/szeminariumWe investigated the static and dynamic
behavior of plano-convex lens shaped droplets of a liquid crystal in the
presence of magnetic field by experiments and theoretical calculations [1].
The structure of the average molecular orientation field (the director) was
investigated as a function of magnetic field. Polarizing optical microscopy
indicated that a disclination line appears inside the droplet, whose
localization depends strongly on the tilt angle of magnetic field with
respect to the flat base plane. We found dynamical behavior of the defect
wall, and studied how the motion of disclination depends on experimental
conditions such as the magnitude or direction of the applied magnetic field.
The system under scope can be used as a liquid optical lens with light
polarization dependent focal length, tunable by magnetic field. Our work
reveals the nature of external field induced defect formation that may act
adversely in applications, and we show in what conditions the disclination
formation can be eliminated.Reference[1] P. Salamon, Z. Karaszi, V.
Kenderesi, Á. Buka, A. Jákli, Liquid crystal spherical caps in magnetic
fields, Phys. Rev. Research 2, 023261 (2020)&nbsp;Minden érdeklődőt szívesen
látunk! - Everyone is welcome to attend.Róbert Juhászsem-admin AT szfki.hu

  • [Fizinfo] Szemináriumok - Seminars: Salamon Péter, Szeminárium koordinátor, 01/07/2021