fizinfo - [Fizinfo] Postdoc.BristolBudapest.2.OriginOfTheEukaryoticCell

fizinfo AT lists.kfki.hu

Subject: ELFT HÍRADÓ

[Fizinfo] Postdoc.BristolBudapest.2.OriginOfTheEukaryoticCell

  • From: Gergely J Szöllősi <sszolo AT gmail.com>
  • To: FIZINFO AT lists.kfki.hu
  • Subject: [Fizinfo] Postdoc.BristolBudapest.2.OriginOfTheEukaryoticCell
  • Date: Wed, 21 Oct 2020 08:39:03 +0200

Two postdoc positions are available as part of a Simons/Moore
Foundation-funded project on the origin of the eukaryotic cell.

We are searching for postdocs to develop and apply new phylogenomic methods
(particularly gene tree-species tree reconciliation methods) to work on the
timing of eukaryotic origins and the nature of the genetic contributions from
archaeal host, bacterial endosymbiont, and other possible sources.

We offer a chance to make progress on fundamental evolutionary questions,
and, as part of a broader initiative, to interact with leading thinkers in
the field.

One of the positions (2.5 years) is in the Paleobiology and Biodiversity
Research Group at Bristol (with a supervisory team consisting of Tom
Williams, Davide Pisani, and Phil Donoghue), and one in the lab of Gergely
Szöllősi at the Hungarian Academy of Sciences (2 years).

The Bristol post is aimed at a “biologist who can use a computer” (applying
methods to new datasets is the #1 task), while the Budapest post is aimed at
someone with an interest in algorithms and method development (#1 task is
extending existing methods, e.g. ALE, and developing new ones).

The boundaries between the two aims, however, overlap and the postdocs will,
we hope, work closely together.

Given the challenges of the ongoing pandemic, we're open to flexible/remote
arrangements.

For the Bristol position please see
http://www.bristol.ac.uk/jobs/find/details.html?nPostingId=76014&nPostingTargetId=198491&id=Q50FK026203F3VBQBV7V77V83&LG=UK&mask=newuobext
(deadline 8th November)
and contact tom.a.williams AT bristol.ac.uk for informal enquiries.

For the Budapest position please see:
http://ssolo.web.elte.hu/MOORE_postdoc.txt
(deadline 30th November)
and contact ssolo AT elte.hu for enquiries

Dr. Gergely J Szöllősi

MTA-ELTE ,,Lendület”
Evolutionary Genomics Research Group
ERC “GENECLOCKS” Research Group
head researcher
http://ssolo.web.elte.hu
Tel: 00 36 30 725 35 32

  • [Fizinfo] Postdoc.BristolBudapest.2.OriginOfTheEukaryoticCell, Gergely J Szöllősi, 10/21/2020