fizinfo - [Fizinfo] BME Elm. Fiz. Szeminárium, feb 14, Török János

fizinfo AT lists.kfki.hu

Subject: ELFT HÍRADÓ

[Fizinfo] BME Elm. Fiz. Szeminárium, feb 14, Török János

  • From: Janos Asboth <asboth.janos AT wigner.mta.hu>
  • To: fizinfo AT lists.kfki.hu
  • Subject: [Fizinfo] BME Elm. Fiz. Szeminárium, feb 14, Török János
  • Date: Tue, 11 Feb 2020 11:26:50 +0100

Meghívó

BME Elméleti Fizika Szeminárium,

február 14. péntek 10h15,

1111 Budapest, Budafoki út 8., BME F III. magasföldszint 01.,
Elméleti Fizika Tanszék szemináriumi szoba

Török János (BME, Elméleti Fizika Tanszék):

Plato’s cube and the natural geometry of fragmentation

We live on and among the byproducts of fragmentation, from nanoparticles to
rock falls to glaciers to continents. Understanding and taming
fragmentation is central to assessing natural hazards and extracting
resources, and even for landing probes safely on other planetary bodies. In
this study[1] we draw new inspiration from an unlikely and ancient source:
Plato, who proposed that the element Earth is made of cubes because they
may be tightly packed together. We demonstrate that this idea is
essentially correct: most natural 3D fragments are topological cubes, when
one averages appropriately. We use mechanical and geometric models to
explain the ubiquity of Plato's cube in fragmentation, and to uniquely map
distinct fragment patterns to their formative stress conditions.

[1]: G Domokos, DJ Jerolmack, F Kun, J Török: arXiv:1912.04628

Minden érdeklődőt szeretettel várunk.

Asbóth János
szemináriumi koordinátor

  • [Fizinfo] BME Elm. Fiz. Szeminárium, feb 14, Török János, Janos Asboth, 02/11/2020