fizinfo - [Fizinfo] Balazs Hetenyi's talk at BME next Monday

fizinfo AT lists.kfki.hu

Subject: ELFT HÍRADÓ

[Fizinfo] Balazs Hetenyi's talk at BME next Monday

  • From: Andras Palyi <palyi AT mail.bme.hu>
  • To: FIZINFO AT lists.kfki.hu
  • Subject: [Fizinfo] Balazs Hetenyi's talk at BME next Monday
  • Date: Fri, 25 Oct 2019 16:26:31 +0200

Dear Colleagues,

Next Monday Balazs Hetenyi will give a talk at the BME Exotic Quantum Phases
seminar.

Speaker: Balazs Hetenyi (Bilkent & BME)
Title: Superfluid weight and polarization amplitude in the one-dimensional
bosonic Hubbard model
Time: Oct 28, Monday, 14:00 (sharp)
Location: seminar room of the theory department (Department of Theoretical
Physics, Building F, stairway III., 1111 Budapest, Budafoki ut 8.)

Abstract: "We calculate the superfluid weight and the polarization amplitude
for the one-dimensional bosonic Hubbard model focusing on the strong-coupling
regime. Other than analytic calculations we apply two methods: variational
Monte Carlo based on the Baeriswyl wave function and exact diagonalization.
The former gives zero superfluid response at integer filling, while the
latter gives a superfluid response at finite hopping. From the polarization
amplitude we derive the variance and the associated size scaling exponent.
Again, the variational study does not produce a finite superfluid weight at
integer filling (size scaling exponent is near one), but the Fourier
transform of the polarization amplitude behaves in a similar way to the
result of exact diagonalization, with a peak at small hopping, and suddenly
decreasing at the insulator-superfluid transition. On the other hand, exact
diagonalization studies result in a finite spread of the total position which
increases with the size of the system. In the superfluid phase the size
scaling exponent is two as expected. Importantly, our work addresses the
ambiguities that arise in the calculation of the superfluid weight in
variational calculations, and we comment on the prediction of Anderson about
the superfluid response of the model at integer filling."

Best regards,
Andras Palyi

  • [Fizinfo] Balazs Hetenyi's talk at BME next Monday, Andras Palyi, 10/25/2019