fizinfo - [Fizinfo] Stat Fiz Szeminarium

fizinfo AT lists.kfki.hu

Subject: ELFT HÍRADÓ

[Fizinfo] Stat Fiz Szeminarium

  • From: StatFizSzeminar <statfiz AT glu.elte.hu>
  • To: fizinfo AT lists.kfki.hu
  • Subject: [Fizinfo] Stat Fiz Szeminarium
  • Date: Fri, 14 Sep 2018 14:49:27 +0200

# # # # # #

ELTE TTK Fizikai Intézet
STATISZTIKUS FIZIKAI SZEMINÁRIUM

2018. szeptember 19.
szerda, 11.00

Ulrike Feudel

University of Oldenburg

"Extreme Events in delay-coupled
FitzHugh-­Nagumo Oscillators"

The study of extreme events has gained increasing at-
tention in recent years due to its ubiquitous appear-
ance in a wide variety of important physical situa-
tions ranging from natural disasters to financial
crises. Previous studies have indicated many factors
and mechanisms which may cause such rare, recurrent,
aperiodic events which have a large impact on dynami-
cal systems. Some of these include progressive spatial
synchronization and an interior crisis in networks of
non-identical relaxation oscillators.

An important factor which often shapes the dynamics of
systems in which such extreme events are observed is
time delayed coupling. For instance, neural activities
across different regions of the brain - whose synchrony
may lead to epileptic seizures - are coupled by time de-
layed coupling. Moreover, as the flow of information in
these networks might take different routes to travel from
the source to the destination, more than one delay could
be associated with a single pair of nodes. The impact of
these time-delayed couplings on the emergence of extreme
events has not yet been analyzed. In this talk, we inves-
tigate if delay couplings alone can induce extreme events
in excitable systems.

To study the impact of such delay-couplings, we investi-
gate a system of two identical FitzHugh-Nagumo oscillators
diffusively coupled by single or multiple delays. We show
that such a system shows rich dynamics which comprises of
in-phase and out-of-phase extreme events. The stability of
the synchronization manifold and its invariant subsets
plays a crucial role in determining the qualitative nature
of the dynamics. We also identify that the region in param-
eter space where extreme events are observed; is sandwiched
by two particular bifurcations: a bubbling transition and
a blowout bifurcation. Another striking feature of the events
of the second category is the loss of synchrony significantly
prior to the actual event. This allows us to use the phase
difference between the oscillators as a precursor to such
an extreme event.

1117, Budapest, Pázmány P. sétány 1/A, Északi tömb 2.54
honlap: http://glu.elte.hu/~statfiz

  • [Fizinfo] Stat Fiz Szeminarium, StatFizSzeminar, 09/14/2018