fizinfo - [Fizinfo] ELTE Astrophysics Seminar by Abbas Askar

fizinfo AT lists.kfki.hu

Subject: ELFT HÍRADÓ

[Fizinfo] ELTE Astrophysics Seminar by Abbas Askar

  • From: Bence Kocsis <bkocsis AT gmail.com>
  • To: fizinfo AT lists.kfki.hu
  • Subject: [Fizinfo] ELTE Astrophysics Seminar by Abbas Askar
  • Date: Mon, 16 Apr 2018 22:39:17 +0200

*ELTE Astrophysics Seminar *
Tuesday, April 17, 15:00, room 3.139

Abbas Askar (Nicolaus Copernicus Astronomical Center of the Polish Academy
of Sciences , Warswaw)

*Investigating Black Hole Populations in Globular Clusters with MOCCA Code
for Star Cluster Simulations*

Dynamical processes in dense stellar systems like globular clusters (GCs)
can significantly influence the population of black holes (BHs) that
originate in these systems. Up to thousands of BHs can form in a GC within
a few million years from the evolution of massive stars. The subsequent
evolution of BH populations in these dense environments is strongly
determined by the initial GC parameters that govern its long-term
evolution. In this talk, I will present results from various projects
connected with BH populations in GCs using about 2000 star cluster models
that were simulated with the MOCCA code for star cluster simulation as part
of the MOCCA-SURVEY Database I project. My talk will include a brief
introduction to the basic ideas behind the Monte Carlo method for
simulating the long term evolution of star clusters and the MOCCA-SURVEY
Database I project. The talk will primarily cover the following topics:
i) Merging stellar mass binary BHs as gravitational wave sources
originating from GCs.
ii) Formation of intermediate mass BHs in GCs and dark star clusters.
iii) Long-term survival of stellar mass BH subsystems in GCs and Galactic
GCs that could potentially contain a sizeable population of stellar mass
BHs.

Everyone is welcome!