fizinfo - [Fizinfo] Ortvay kollokvium

fizinfo AT lists.kfki.hu

Subject: ELFT HÍRADÓ

[Fizinfo] Ortvay kollokvium

  • From: szpl <szpl AT metal.elte.hu>
  • To: <fizinfo AT lists.kfki.hu>
  • Subject: [Fizinfo] Ortvay kollokvium
  • Date: Tue, 03 Oct 2017 12:39:00 +0200

ELTE Fizikai Intézet

ORTVAY KOLLOKVIUM

2017. október 05., csütörtök, 15:00-kor
Az ELTE Pázmány Péter s. 1/A alatti épületében
földszinti 0.81 előadóban

Bill Forman
(Harvard-Smithsonian Center for Astrophysics)

''Fossil Records'' of Outbursts from Supermassive Black Holes and the Effects of Outbursts on the Evolution of Gas Rich Galaxies, Groups, and Galaxy Clusters

Kivonatos ismertetés:
Supermassive black holes (SMBHs) play key roles in galaxy and cluster evolution. This is most clearly seen in the "fossil record" that is imprinted in the gas rich atmospheres of early type galaxies, groups, and clusters by powerful SMBH outbursts. I will discuss the outburst history of M87 as chronicled in its radio and X-ray images and the implications of these outbursts for heating gas rich environments. In addition to discussing the outburst around M87, I will review the results of a galaxy survey that shows the effects of SMBH feedback on early type galaxies and which suggests that, at very early epochs, SMBH outbursts have truncated star formation and altered the "normal" evolution of the stellar component of galaxy bulges. I conclude by describing a future X-ray mission, X-ray Surveyor, with sub-arcsecond angular resolution, that would allow us to study the evolution of SMBHs and hot, X-ray emitting atmospheres from high redshifts to the present.