fizinfo - [Fizinfo] BME Elméleti Fizika Tanszék szemináriuma

fizinfo AT lists.kfki.hu

Subject: ELFT HÍRADÓ

[Fizinfo] BME Elméleti Fizika Tanszék szemináriuma

  • From: tcsaba <tcsaba AT eik.bme.hu>
  • To: fizinfo AT lists.kfki.hu
  • Subject: [Fizinfo] BME Elméleti Fizika Tanszék szemináriuma
  • Date: Mon, 05 Sep 2016 08:35:25 +0200

M E G H Í V Ó - I N V I T A T I O N

Seminar Series of the Department of Theoretical Physics at the

Andreas Schnyder
(MPI Stuttgart)

Three-dimensional topological Dirac materials

Although topologically nontrivial properties are normally associated with insulating phases, recent developments have shown that (semi)metallic phases can also be topological. In this talk, I will survey recent developments regarding the topological classifications of (semi)metallic materials in terms of crystal symmetries [1,2]. As a concrete examples, I will present results about the recently discovered compound Ca3P2 [3], which has a line of Dirac nodes near the Fermi energy. I will discuss the topological properties of Ca3P2 in terms of a low-energy effective theory and a tight-binding model, derived from ab initio DFT calculations. The microscopic model for Ca3P2 shows that the drumhead surface states have a rather weak dispersion, which implies that correlation effects are enhanced at the surface of Ca3P2. Furthermore, I will discuss the parity anomaly that exists in this nodal-line semimetal and show how it is connected to unusual transport phenomena. If time permits, I will also survey the topological properties of the Dirac materials A3EO [4], where A denotes an alkaline earth metal, while E stands for Pb or Sn. I will discuss the magnetic properties of this Dirac system and show that a strong Zeeman field splits the gapped Dirac cones into ungapped Weyl points, which are protected by a quantized Chern number.

Időpont: 2016. szeptember 9. péntek, 10:15
Helyszín: BME Fizikai Intézet, Elméleti Fizika Tanszék,
Budafoki út 8. F-épület, III lépcsőház, szemináriumi szoba