fizinfo - [Fizinfo] Stat Phys Seminar, afternoon

fizinfo AT lists.kfki.hu

Subject: ELFT HÍRADÓ

[Fizinfo] Stat Phys Seminar, afternoon

  • From: StatFizSzeminar <statfiz AT glu.elte.hu>
  • To: fizinfo AT lists.kfki.hu
  • Subject: [Fizinfo] Stat Phys Seminar, afternoon
  • Date: Fri, 17 Jun 2016 10:00:12 +0200

# # # # # #

ELTE Institute of Physics
Joint
SEMINAR IN STATISTICAL PHYSICS
and
SEMINAR IN PARTICLE PHYSICS

The SECOND lecture on
22nd June 2016

Wednesday, 14:15
Room 7.59
(on the 7th floor!)

Attila J. Krasznahorkay

Institute for Nuclear Research, Hungarian Academy of Sciences

"On the track of the dark forces"

Electron-positron angular correlations were measured for the magnetic dipole
17.6 MeV and the 18.15 MeV transitions in 8Be. Significant enhancement
relative
to the internal pair creation was observed at large angles in the angular
correlation for the 18.15 MeV transition with a confidence level of > 5sigma.
This observation might indicate that, in an intermediate step, a neutral
particle with a mass of 16.70 MeV/c^2 was created. In January we reported the
above anomaly in Physical Review Letters, but at first, few took notice. That
changed in April with a paper by Jonathan Feng, a theoretical particle
physicist, who presented their work with the title of: ``Evidence for a
Protophobic Fifth Force from 8Be Nuclear Transitions'', which was followed by
an
article in Nature with a title of: ``Has a Hungarian physics lab found a fifth
force of nature?'' Such an article produced a boom in the media. The proposed
boson has become lunch-table talk in physics departments far and wide, and
plans
are afoot for testing the idea. If the particle is confirmed, that would
completely upend our understanding of the universe. I am going to show the
reliability of the data, place such a particle into context with other
experimental results and discuss the implications of the results.

1117, Budapest, Pázmány P. sétány 1/A (Északi tömb)
honlap: http://glu.elte.hu/~statfiz

  • [Fizinfo] Stat Phys Seminar, afternoon, StatFizSzeminar, 06/17/2016