fizinfo - [Fizinfo] Ortvay kollokvium

fizinfo AT lists.kfki.hu

Subject: ELFT HÍRADÓ

[Fizinfo] Ortvay kollokvium

  • From: szpl <szpl AT metal.elte.hu>
  • To: <fizinfo AT lists.kfki.hu>
  • Subject: [Fizinfo] Ortvay kollokvium
  • Date: Fri, 08 Apr 2016 09:48:47 +0200

ELTE Fizikai Intézet

ORTVAY KOLLOKVIUM

2016. április 14., csütörtök, 15:00-kor
Az ELTE Pázmány Péter s. 1/A alatti épületében
földszinti 0.81 előadóban

Szunyogh László
(BME, Elméleti Fizika Tanszék)

"Chiral twist of magnetic domain walls in ultrathin films"

Kivonatos ismertetés:
Breaking of inversion symmetry at surfaces or interfaces of magnetic solids and the presence of spin-orbit coupling can generate remarkably large Dzyaloshinskii-Moriya (DM) interaction that leads to numerous intriguing phenomena in nanomagnetism. In this talk, first I give a short overview about effects induced by DMI, like the stabilization of exotic spin textures (spin-spirals, magnetic skyrmions), asymmetry of the spin-wave dispersion, homochirality of magnetic domain walls, or exchange bias due to DMI.

A vast number of recent experimental and theoretical works focused on manipulating the DMI by varying the geometry and chemical composition of magnetic multilayers. Motivated by this challenge, I present a study of domain walls in Co/Irn/Pt(111) (n = 0-6) magnetic thin films by a combined approach of first-principles calculations and spin-dynamics simulations. We determine the tensorial exchange interactions and the magnetic anisotropies for the Co overlayer, depending on the thickness of Ir buffer layers. We find strong nearest neighbor ferromagnetic isotropic exchange interactions between the Co atoms and an out-of-plane magnetic anisotropy for the majority of the studied thin films. We show that the Néel type of magnetic domain walls (DWs) change their rotational sense (chirality) upon the insertion of an Ir buffer layer as compared to Co/Pt(111).

Quite unexpectedly, our spin-dynamics simulations indicate a twist of the DW profile off the plane normal to the surface. This feature can uniquely be attributed to the out-of-plane components of the DM vectors. Using symmetry arguments, we discuss the appearance of this twist for DWs propagating along different directions on a hexagonal lattice. In terms of an appropriate micromagnetic model we argue that the system gains energy through twisting of the DW profile. We show that the twisting amplitude proportionally depends on the size of the out-of-plane component of the effective DM vector, Δζ, while the direction of the twisting is determined by the sign of Δζ. [1]

[1] Gy. J. Vida, E. Simon, K. Palotás, and L. Szunyogh, preprint just before submission (2016).