fizinfo - [Fizinfo] Ortvay kollokvium

fizinfo AT lists.kfki.hu

Subject: ELFT HÍRADÓ

[Fizinfo] Ortvay kollokvium

  • From: szpl <szpl AT metal.elte.hu>
  • To: <fizinfo AT lists.kfki.hu>
  • Subject: [Fizinfo] Ortvay kollokvium
  • Date: Fri, 19 Feb 2016 13:03:44 +0100

ELTE Fizikai Intézet

ORTVAY KOLLOKVIUM

2016. február 25., csütörtök, 15:00-kor
Az ELTE Pázmány Péter s. 1/A alatti épületében
földszinti 0.81 előadóban

Peter Berczik
(Astronomisches Rechen-Institut (ARI) am Zentrum fuerAstronomie
der Universitaet Heidelberg (ZAH), Heidelberg, Germany; Main Astronomical
Observatory (MAO), National Academy of Sciences of Ukraine (NASU), Kyiv,
Ukraine)

"Galaxy collision simulations with central Post Newtonian Supermassive
Binary Black Holes"

Kivonatos ismertetés:
The most energetic gravitational waves (GWs) are generated by merging supermassive binary black holes (SMBBHs) in the centers of galaxies. In our high order post-Newtonian N-body simulations, we study galaxy-galaxy collisions
with the maximum numerical resolution possible today. For the simulations, we use the largest astrophysical Graphical Processing Unit (GPU) accelerated clusters, including the TITAN GPU supercomputer in the USA which holds the second place in the recent top500 list. The central SMBBH is simulated as special particles with post-Newtonian force corrections (up to 1/c**7 terms) implemented for the BHs' gravitational interactions. We find that the SMBBH merger time shows a quite strong dependency on the merging galaxies' mass ratio.
Using our simulations, we obtain upper limits for the final GW merger time for
SMBBHs in observational galaxy pair candidates.