fizinfo - [Fizinfo] BME Elméleti Fizika Tanszék szemináriuma

fizinfo AT lists.kfki.hu

Subject: ELFT HÍRADÓ

[Fizinfo] BME Elméleti Fizika Tanszék szemináriuma

  • From: tcsaba AT eik.bme.hu
  • To: fizinfo AT lists.kfki.hu
  • Subject: [Fizinfo] BME Elméleti Fizika Tanszék szemináriuma
  • Date: Fri, 12 Feb 2016 15:20:36 +0100

M E G H Í V Ó - I N V I T A T I O N

Seminar series of the Department of Theoretical Physics at the

Péter Rakyta
(Department of Physics of Complex Systems, Eötvös University)

Study of ballistic quantum antidots and dots situated in magnetic field

Quantum dots and antidots made of two-dimensional materials are often used to design novel nanoscale devices due to their peculiar physical
properties. For example, silicene manifests a remarkable intrinsic spin-orbit interaction that triggers a topological phase transition in the
low-energy regime. We found that the protected edge states present in silicene antidots and dots are polarized in valley-spin pairs. Our calculations
also confirmed that the topological edge states are propagating over the perimeter of the antidot/dot for both ideal or realistic edge termination
containing roughness on the atomic length scale.
Here we also propose an experimental method for the detection of bound states around an antidot formed from a hole in a graphene sheet by measuring
the ballistic two terminal conductances. In particular, we consider the effect of bound states formed by magnetic field on the two terminal
conductance and show that one can observe Breit-Wigner like resonances in the conductance as a function of the Fermi level close to the energies of
the bound states.

Idöpont: 2016. február 19., 10:15
Helyszín: BME Fizikai Intézet, Elméleti Fizika Tanszék,
Budafoki út 8. F-épület, III lépcsöház, szemináriumi szoba