fizinfo - [Fizinfo] BME Fizika Tanszek szeminariuma: Jonathan White (PSI)

fizinfo AT lists.kfki.hu

Subject: ELFT HÍRADÓ

[Fizinfo] BME Fizika Tanszek szeminariuma: Jonathan White (PSI)

  • From: bordacs.sandor AT wigner.bme.hu
  • To: Fizinfo <Fizinfo AT lists.kfki.hu>
  • Subject: [Fizinfo] BME Fizika Tanszek szeminariuma: Jonathan White (PSI)
  • Date: Tue, 24 Mar 2015 10:27:55 +0100

Kedves Kollégák!

Szeretném figyelmükbe ajánlani a BME Fizika Tanszékének szemináriumát.

Előadó: Jonathan White – Laboratory for Neutron Scattering and Imaging, Paul Scherrer Institut (PSI), Switzerland

Cím: Neutron scattering explorations of new magnetoelectric coupling effects at PSI:
ferromagnetic ferroelectrics and skyrmion lattices

Időpont: 2015. március 30. (hétfő) 10 óra
Helyszín: BME F. épület I. lh. 1. em. Schay terem

Asztrakt: Over the last decade or so, neutron scattering has played a pivotal role in the study of the remarkable magnetoelectric coupling properties driven by symmetry-breaking magnetic order. Here we present two recent neutron scattering studies done at PSI that continue this theme.

Firstly, we will introduce our study of the magnetically-driven multiferroic Mn2GeO4. This material was shown by us recently to display a rare multiferroic phase for a bulk material, being simultaneously ferromagnetic and ferroelectric, with both orders spontaneous and pointing along the c-axis [1]. Bulk measurement techniques appear to show a coupling between the ferromagnetism and ferroelectricity, and we have undertaken neutron scattering studies with samples under applied magnetic and electric fields in order to clarify the new microscopic principles that govern such a coupling.

Secondly, we have used small-angle neutron scattering (SANS) to study the topologically protected magnetic spin vortices, or Skyrmions, in the chiral-lattice magnetoelectric insulator Cu2OSeO3. Until 2012, Skyrmions had been observed only in (semi)conducting B20 compounds where it is known that they can be manipulated by conduction electrons. From our SANS experiments on Cu2OSeO3 [2], we show that applied electric fields can control the skyrmion lattice orientation in insulators, and in an essentially lossless manner that is dependent on both the size and sign of the electric field. These results provide the first evidence for the electric field control of topological magnetism in magnetoelectric materials.

[1] J.S. White et al., Phys. Rev. Lett. 108, 077204 (2012)
[2] J.S. White et al., J. Phys.: Condens. Matter 24, 432201 (2012), Phys. Rev. Lett. 113, 107203 (2014)

Minden érdeklődőt szívesen látunk!

--
Dr. Sandor Bordacs
assistant prof.

  • [Fizinfo] BME Fizika Tanszek szeminariuma: Jonathan White (PSI), bordacs . sandor, 03/24/2015