fizinfo - [Fizinfo] Stat Fiz Szeminarium

fizinfo AT lists.kfki.hu

Subject: ELFT HÍRADÓ

[Fizinfo] Stat Fiz Szeminarium

  • From: StatFizSzeminar <statfiz AT glu.elte.hu>
  • To: fizinfo AT lists.kfki.hu
  • Subject: [Fizinfo] Stat Fiz Szeminarium
  • Date: Wed, 18 Sep 2013 09:43:11 +0200

# # # # # #

ELTE TTK Fizikai Intézet
STATISZTIKUS FIZIKAI SZEMINÁRIUM

Éghajlatdinamikai problémák előadássorozat
2013. szeptember 23-26.

Valerio Lucarini

Klimacampus, Institute of Meteorology, University of Hamburg, Germany
Department of Mathematics and Statistics, University of Reading, UK

Mini course on Statistical Mechanics and Thermodynamics for Geophysical Fluid
Dynamics

1. Sept. 23, 12:15-13:45, É 1.125
Macroscopic Thermodynamics: Efficiency, Irreversibility, Tipping Points

The climate is a perfect example of a non-equilibrium system which keeps a
steady state by suitably regulating the fluxes of entropy and energy with the
surrounding environment. The differential radiation fuels the global
circulation of the atmosphere and of the ocean, which in turn contributes to
reducing the temperature gradients across the globe and in generating entropy
through a variety of processes. In this seminar we will present a
comprehensive theory of the thermodynamics of our planet able to treat
comprehensively the Lorenz energy cycle as well as the generation of entropy
through irreversible processes and we will argue that such theory allows for
introducing robust, fundamental observables of the climate system and can be
used for studying more general planetary atmospheres. We will show our these
thermodynamical tools can be used for studying tipping points and addressing
issues like the habitability of planets.