fizinfo - [Fizinfo] KRFT tea: Gorinsky az internet-szolgaltatas gazdasagossagarol

fizinfo AT lists.kfki.hu

Subject: ELFT HÍRADÓ

[Fizinfo] KRFT tea: Gorinsky az internet-szolgaltatas gazdasagossagarol

  • From: Geszti Tamás <geszti AT elte.hu>
  • To: Fizinfo AT lists.kfki.hu
  • Subject: [Fizinfo] KRFT tea: Gorinsky az internet-szolgaltatas gazdasagossagarol
  • Date: Thu, 01 Sep 2011 15:39:20 +0200

MEGHÍVÓ

az ELTE Komplex Rendszerek Fizikája Tanszék teájára

Sergey Gorinsky (IMDEA Networks, Madrid, Spain):

Traffic Attraction through Prefix Deaggregation:
An Economic Perspective

ISPs (Internet Service Providers) typically operate as commercial ASes
(Autonomous Systems) and obtain revenue by delivering IP (Internet
Protocol) traffic of their customers. In particular, the provider-free
ASes ­ which reach the entire Internet without paying anyone for the
traffic delivery ­ sell IP transit to numerous other ASes. IP prefix
deaggregation gives the deaggregator some control over Internet traffic
flows but increases the memory requirements of IP routers. This paper
offers a novel economic perspective on prefix deaggregation. In
particular, we investigate whether provider-free ASes have financial
incentives to deaggregate prefixes in order to attract additional IP
traffic of their customers. Our study combines analysis with extensive
simulations seeded by actual data. Using a realistic AS-level Internet
topology, we derive a traffic-matrix model and then conduct simulations in
our optimized version of C-BGP. The results show that a provider-free AS
has strong incentives for traffic attraction by prefix deagregation, even
if all provider-free ASes deaggregate prefixes simultaneously, or if other
ASes filter out the deaggregated prefixes. We also demonstrate that the
financial benefits from the attracted traffic significantly outweigh the
extra router-memory costs imposed by the prefix deaggregation.

Az előadás kezdete: szeptember 6-án, kedden kettőkor
helye: ELTE TTK északi épület, 5.128-as terem.
Vendégeket, mint mindig, most is szívesen látunk.

  • [Fizinfo] KRFT tea: Gorinsky az internet-szolgaltatas gazdasagossagarol, Geszti Tamás, 09/01/2011