fizinfo - [Fizinfo] Level Tokiobol

fizinfo AT lists.kfki.hu

Subject: ELFT HÍRADÓ

[Fizinfo] Level Tokiobol

  • From: "Schiller Robert" <schiller AT aeki.kfki.hu>
  • To: Fizinfo AT lists.kfki.hu
  • Subject: [Fizinfo] Level Tokiobol
  • Date: Sat, 12 Mar 2011 22:22:22 +0100

Kedves Kollégák!

Az alábbi levelet kaptam ma délután egy tokiói barátomtól.

Dear Bob,

I made it home safely about 10 hrs ago. Thanks for worrying about our
safety. We are all fine, trains are running and utilities are back.
In the meantime, an explosion took place at one of the power plants. That
was what I was worrying about this morning.
According to the announcement of our Cabinet secretary, the explosion
was that of containment building, not the reactor vessel itself. Very hot
water vapor seeped from the reactor vessel generated hydrogen within the
containment building, which reacted with oxygen there and exploded that blew
up the wall of the building. The upper part of the fuel rod was exposed as
the cooling water level went down and the sheath (Zr) melt down (partially)
that resulted in contamination of vapor with Cs-137, I- 131, etc. that
leaked into the atmosphere.
Tokyo Electric and Power Company, the owner of the power plants,
announced that they started cooling the vessel with sea-water, which might
cause corrosion and eventual abandoning.
By the way, the reactor is about 40 years old and made by GE.
Thanks again,

Masaru

Talán az újsághíreken túl ad valami járulékos információt a levél.

Schiller Róbert