fizinfo - [Fizinfo] BME Elmeleti Fizika Tanszek szeminariuma

fizinfo AT lists.kfki.hu

Subject: ELFT HÍRADÓ

[Fizinfo] BME Elmeleti Fizika Tanszek szeminariuma

  • From: "Varga Imre" <varga AT galilei.phy.bme.hu>
  • To: fizinfo AT lists.kfki.hu, matematikusok AT math.bme.hu
  • Subject: [Fizinfo] BME Elmeleti Fizika Tanszek szeminariuma
  • Date: Mon, 19 May 2008 11:56:31 +0200

MEGHIVO
a BME Fizikai Intezet, Elmeleti Fizika Tanszek
szeminariumara:

Anita Mehta
S.N. Bose Centre for Basic Sciences
Kolkata (Calcutta), India

"Sand in a Jam"

Helye: BME Fizikai Intezet,
Elmeleti Fizika Tanszek
Budafoki ut 8.
F-epulet, III. lepcsohaz, mfszt. Szeminariumi szoba

Ideje: 2008. majus 23. pentek, 10:15.

Kivonat: Granular dynamics are by now well known to consist of both
fast and slow
relaxational processes. I will first outline several structural
features that we have
established; these include, most recently, the formation of stable
bridges, which are
signatures of spatiotemporal inhomogeneities. I will review their
geometrical
characteristics obtained via theory and independent simulations, and
speculate on their
relationship to force chains. In the second part of the talk, I will
look specifically at
models of granular compaction, presenting a random graph model used
to model
compaction near jamming. The compaction curve shows distinct reasons
where fast
and slow dynamics apply, separated by the single-particle relaxation
threshold. Finally,
I will present a model of a jammed column of grains, which exhibits
spatial
heterogeneity in its dynamics. Major results include: an entropic
landscape that, while
microscopically rough, manifests Edwards' flatness at a macroscopic
level; and the
manifestation of intermittent dynamics in the fully jammed base of
the column as the
system reaches one of many metastable attractors.

Minden erdeklodot szivesen latunk.

Varga Imre