fizinfo - [Fizinfo] Csillagda szeminariuma

fizinfo AT lists.kfki.hu

Subject: ELFT HÍRADÓ

[Fizinfo] Csillagda szeminariuma

  • From: ilka AT szombat.konkoly.hu (Kalman Belane)
  • To: fizinfo AT sunserv.kfki.hu
  • Cc:
  • Subject: [Fizinfo] Csillagda szeminariuma
  • Date: Fri, 24 Sep 2004 10:54:32 +0200 (MEST)

Meghivó

az MTA Konkoly Thege Miklós Csillagászati Kutatóintézete
szemináriumára

Eloado: Prof.Robert W. Noyes,
(Harvard-Smithsonian Center for Astrophysics)

Cim:"New Developments in ExtraSolar Planet Research"

Abstract:
Recently there have been a number of detections of extra-solar giant
planets ("hot jupiters") that transit close in front of their parent
stars, and thus permit our first measurements of the true mass and
radius of these enigmatic objects. At the same time, the precision
of stellar radial velocity measurements has improved to the point that
a few extrasolar planets have been detected with minimum masses much
less than Jupiter - in fact more like the mass of Uranus or Neptune

in our own solar system. Are these objects huge earth-like rocky

planets, or are they more like the "ice giants" Neptune and Uranus?

Detection of a low-mass planet transiting in front of its star might

give the answer. In the meantime, we can speculate about what these

new discoveries can tell us about the origin and evolution of planetary
systems in general.

A szeminárium idõpontja: 2004. szeptember 30. csütörtök, 14 óra

Helyszine: MTA Konkoly Thege Miklós Csillagászati Kutatóintézete
1121 Budapest Konkoly Thege M. ut 13-17.

Patkós László s.k.

  • [Fizinfo] Csillagda szeminariuma, Kalman Belane, 09/24/2004