fizinfo AT lists.kfki.hu
Subject: ELFT HÍRADÓ
- From: "Krisztina Biber" <Biberk AT ceu.hu>
- To: "Nenad Miscevic" <VISMISCEVIC AT ceu.hu>
- Subject: [Fizinfo] philosophy lecture at CEU
- Date: Thu, 26 Feb 2004 09:28:29 +0100
- List-archive: <http://sunserv.kfki.hu/pipermail/fizinfo>
- List-id: ELFT HÍRADÓ <fizinfo.lists.kfki.hu>
The Philosophy Department of
Central European University
invites you to a public lecture
Arthur Madigan, S.J. (Boston College)
Aristotle's handling of endoxa in Nicomachian Ethics IX 4 and Eudemian
Ethics VII 6
3.00 PM, March 3, Wednesday, Zrinyi utca 14, Room 412
Nicomachian Ethics VII 1, 1145b2-7 is commonly taking
to be an important statement, even a controlling statement,
of Aristotle's method of beginning inquiry with a survey
of endoxa or reputable opinions. According to certain
interpretations of the passage, Aristotle's conclusions
are determined, or at least restricted, by the initial
collection of endoxa. In Nicomachian Ethics IX 4 and
Eudemian Ethics VII 6, however, Aristotle begins with
very similar collections of endoxa but comes to very
different conclusions. This paper will study these
texts in an attempt to determine how similar initial
collections of opinions can lead to different conclusions.
The aim will be to identify other salient features of
Aristotle's dialectical procedure besides the initial
collection of endoxa.
Professor Madigan earned his PhD at the University of
Toronto in 1979. He has published widely in the field
of Greek philosophy, his major book publications
- Alexander of Aphrodisias on Aristotle, Metaphysics 2
and 3. London-Ithaca N.Y.: Duckworth-Cornell
University Press, 1992.
- Alexander of Aphrodisias on Aristotle, Metaphysics 4.
London-Ithaca N.Y.: Duckworth-Cornell University
- Aristotle, Metaphysics Books Beta and Kappa 1-2.
(Clarendon Aristotle Series). Oxford: Oxford
University Press, 1999.
- [Fizinfo] philosophy lecture at CEU, Krisztina Biber, 02/23/2004
- <Possible follow-up(s)>
- [Fizinfo] philosophy lecture at CEU, Krisztina Biber, 02/26/2004
- [Fizinfo] philosophy lecture at CEU, Krisztina Biber, 02/27/2004
Archive powered by MHonArc 2.6.19+.