fizinfo - [Fizinfo] ATOMKI-szeminarium

fizinfo AT lists.kfki.hu

Subject: ELFT HÍRADÓ

[Fizinfo] ATOMKI-szeminarium

  • From: Zoltan Mate <mate AT moon.atomki.hu>
  • To: fizinfo AT sunserv.kfki.hu, hnucsoc AT sunserv.kfki.hu, "KLTE-Elm.Fiz."@moon.atomki.hu, "KLTE-Kis.Fiz."@moon.atomki.hu, potornai AT tigris.unideb.hu
  • Cc:
  • Subject: [Fizinfo] ATOMKI-szeminarium
  • Date: Thu, 22 Jan 2004 16:13:18 +0100 (MET)

Az MTA Atommagkutato Intezetenek nagyeloadojaban
(Debrecen, Bem ter 18/c. 12. ep. III. em.)
2004. januar 29-en, csutortokon 11:00 orakor

ALGORA Alejandro
(ATOMKI)

Beta decay studies using total absorption spectroscopy

cimmel eloadast tart.
Az eloadas elott 10:30-tol tea. Vendegeket szivesen latunk.

Debrecen, 2004. januar 22.

Mate Zoltan

Abstract:
Studies of beta decay and prompt radiation from reactions are
complementary and provide our primary sources of information on the
nuclear structure of unstable nuclei. They present different problems to
the experimenter. In the case of beta decay we face the critical problem
of the so-called "Pandemonium Effect" if we wish to extract transition
probabilities for comparison with theory. Here we explain how this problem
can be overcome by the use of Total Absorption Spectroscopy. Examples of
experiments carried out with both the Total Absorption Spectrometer (TAS)
at GSI and with "Lucrecia", a new spectrometer installed at CERN-ISOLDE,
will be presented. The latter allows the direct collection of the activity
studied at the centre of the crystal. As a result it allows the study of
very short-lived species (half-lives as short as tens of milliseconds).
The future development of other devices of this type and their application
at other facilities will be discussed.