fizinfo - [Fizinfo] Philosophy of Science Colloquium, February Program

fizinfo AT lists.kfki.hu

Subject: ELFT HÍRADÓ

[Fizinfo] Philosophy of Science Colloquium, February Program

  • From: "Laszlo E. Szabo" <leszabo AT hps.elte.hu>
  • Subject: [Fizinfo] Philosophy of Science Colloquium, February Program
  • Date: Sun Feb 23 23:37:00 2003

Department of HISTORY AND PHILOSOPHY OF SCIENCE
Eotvos University, Budapest
Pazmany P. setany 1/A Budapest
Phone/Fax: (36-1) 372 2924
Department's Home Page:http://hps.elte.hu

Philosophy of Science Colloquium
Room 6.54 (6th floor) Monday 4:00 PM
____________________________________

24 February 4:00 PM 6th floor 6.54
(English, except all participants speak Hungarian)

L o r á n d A m b r u s - L a k a t o s

<http://www.ceu.hu/phil/faculty_staff_6.html>
Deprtment of Philosophy
Central European University, Budapest

John Rawls: Getting beyond Social Choice Theory

I will present first the main tenets of Arrovian social choice theory,
and explain its relationship to decision and game theory. Then I will
offer conjectures why it was thought by many that this theory could
ground political philosophy. At the end, I will sketch John Rawls'
solution to the social choice problem.

___________________________________

The 60-minute lecture is followed by a 10-minute break. Then we held a
30-60-minute discussion.The participants may comment the talks and
initiate discussion on the Internet. The comments should be written in
the language of the presentation.

The organizer of the colloquium:
Laszlo E. Szabo (email:
leszabo AT hps.elte.hu)

--
Laszlo E. Szabo
Department of Theoretical Physics
Department of History and Philosophy of Science
Eotvos University, Budapest
H-1518 Budapest, Pf. 32, Hungary
Phone/Fax: (36-1)372-2924
Home: (36-1) 200-7318
Mobil/SMS: (36) 20-366-1172
http://hps.elte.hu/~leszabo

  • [Fizinfo] Philosophy of Science Colloquium, February Program, Laszlo E. Szabo, 02/23/2003