fizinfo - [Fizinfo] PHILOSOPHY OF SCIENCE SEMINAR, D o n I h d e

fizinfo AT lists.kfki.hu

Subject: ELFT HÍRADÓ

[Fizinfo] PHILOSOPHY OF SCIENCE SEMINAR, D o n I h d e

  • From: "Laszlo E. Szabo" <leszabo AT hps.elte.hu>
  • Subject: [Fizinfo] PHILOSOPHY OF SCIENCE SEMINAR, D o n I h d e
  • Date: Sun Jun 3 05:51:02 2001

Department of History and Philosophy of Science
Eotvos University
Budapest, Pazmany P. setany 1/A

PHILOSOPHY OF SCIENCE SEMINAR
(http://hps.elte.hu/seminar)
11 June 4:00 PM 6th floor 6.54
(Language: English)

D o n I h d e
Department of Philosophy, SUNY, Stony Brook

Epistemology Engines

The history of science is filled with important theories and discoveries
based upon observations of technologies, for example, thermodynamics
comes from the steam engine as historians claim. I shall examine
several cases of lifeworld practices which relate to scientific
developments, including cannon warfare and ballistics, railway schedules
and clocks for special relativity, etc. But the focus will be upon
technologies which become explicit models for knowledge production. In
the first case, I shall examine the role of the camera obscura for early
modern epistemology and then the 'return of the book of life' for
contemporary epistemology.

The organizer of the seminar: László E. Szabó

--
Laszlo E. Szabo
Department of Theoretical Physics
Department of History and Philosophy of Science
Eotvos University, Budapest
H-1518 Budapest, Pf. 32, Hungary
Phone/Fax: (36-1)372-2924
Home: (36-1) 200-7318
Mobil/SMS: (36) 20-366-1172
http://hps.elte.hu/~leszabo

  • [Fizinfo] PHILOSOPHY OF SCIENCE SEMINAR, D o n I h d e, Laszlo E. Szabo, 06/03/2001