mix - [Mix] Passing of Philipp Gütlich

mix AT lists.kfki.hu

Subject: Discussion journal of the Mössbauer Community

[Mix] Passing of Philipp Gütlich

  • From: Ralf Röhlsberger <ralf.roehlsberger AT desy.de>
  • To: mix AT lists.kfki.hu
  • Subject: [Mix] Passing of Philipp Gütlich
  • Date: Fri, 23 Sep 2022 07:18:54 +0200
  • Dkim-filter: OpenDKIM Filter v2.11.0 smtp-o-2.desy.de 8CB32161148

Dear colleagues,

it is my sad duty to inform you that our IBAME honorary member and former IBAME chair Philipp Gütlich passed away on 9 September 2022 at the age of 88.

Besides his family, he devoted his life to science where he made seminal contributions in the fields of electronic structure of transition metal compounds, surface physics and chemistry, and he fostered the industrial application of the Mössbauer effect.He held several guest professorships all over the world and received honorary doctoral degrees for his scientific accomplishments and merits for international collaborations from the Universities of Budapest and Toho-University Tokyo.

The international Mössbauer community loses not only an excellent scientist and committed teacher, but also a friend and colleague who, with immense dedication, advanced the applications of the Mössbauer effect in a diversity of research fields. He will be dearly missed.

A detailed obituary will be posted at a later time.

Our heartfelt sympathies are with his wife Angelika and family.

In deep sorrow,

Ralf Röhlsberger

--
Prof. Dr. Ralf Röhlsberger

Helmholtz Institut Jena and Friedrich-Schiller Universität Jena
Max-Wien-Platz 1
07743 Jena
Tel: +49 3641 947900

and

Deutsches Elektronen-Synchrotron DESY
Notkestr. 85
22607 Hamburg
Germany

Tel: +49 40 8998 4503
FAX: +49 40 8998 2787

  • [Mix] Passing of Philipp Gütlich, Ralf Röhlsberger, 09/23/2022