mix - [Mix] Future of the Mossbauer Effect Data Center

mix AT lists.kfki.hu

Subject: Discussion journal of the Mössbauer Community

[Mix] Future of the Mossbauer Effect Data Center

  • From: Nagy Denes Lajos <nagy AT rmki.kfki.hu>
  • To: Frank Berry <f.j.berry AT open.ac.uk>
  • Cc: MIX <mix AT lists.kfki.hu>
  • Subject: [Mix] Future of the Mossbauer Effect Data Center
  • Date: Wed, 23 Sep 2009 16:57:50 +0200 (CEST)

Greetings,

Frank Berry, Chair of the Task Group on the Future of the Mossbauer Effect
Data Center, has requested that the attached be distributed to the Mossbauer
Community:

Colleagues

I write again as Chairman of The Task Group on The Future of MEDC.

The Task Group on The Future of MEDC has a specific remit to investigate the
possibility of new locations for MEDC. I have already received three
expressions of interest in hosting MEDC. Whether or not these will become
firm proposals is difficult to evaluate at this stage. In these
circumstances it seems sensible to explore the possibility that there may be
other Institutions interested in hosting MEDC in the future and, following
discussions with John Stevens, it seems appropriate to proceed with a
Request for Proposals. I recognise that the debate within the Community
concerning the future shape of MEDC is ongoing and it is therefore
appreciated that Proposals will be submitted within such a
context. Nevertheless, in view of the timescale on which MEDC may remain
located at UNCA, it does seem sensible to evaluate at this stage the extent
of interest in hosting MEDC in other locations

Request for Proposals
I now invite Proposals from the Community to host and
operate MEDC from 1st July 2010 or later date. Proposals should contain the
following information:

(i) The Institution and Department/Laboratory which will be responsible
for operating MEDC and an indication of the person who would be Director.

This should include a brief outline of the Institution and its record in
Mossbauer-related activities. More importantly there should be a detailed
account of the envisaged aims and objectives of MEDC, how it would operate,
how it would be staffed, and embryo ideas for its future development

(ii) A clear description of the support that will be provided by the
Institution and the infrastructure which will be available for hosting MEDC
particularly space, equipment and administrative resources.

(iii) Any restrictions that the Institution would impose.

(iv) Envisaged financial structures.

Proposals should be sent to me (with a copy to John Stevens, Director of
MEDC) by 31st October 2009. The Task Group will consider these and make
recommendations.

In conclusion, the current situation concerning MEDC and its future
continues to require our attention. I thank colleagues for their support to
date and will keep you informed of developments as they occur. In the
meantime I invite you to contact me directly if you have any concerns or
have suggestions as to action The Task Group may take in fulfilling its
mandate to recommend how MEDC should function in the future.

With Kind Regards

Professor Frank J Berry

f.j.berry AT open.ac.uk

  • [Mix] Future of the Mossbauer Effect Data Center, Nagy Denes Lajos, 09/23/2009