mix - [Mix] Postdoc position: "Mössbauer spectroscopy of reactive iron species“

mix AT lists.kfki.hu

Subject: Discussion journal of the Mössbauer Community

[Mix] Postdoc position: "Mössbauer spectroscopy of reactive iron species“

  • From: Catherine McCammon <catherine.mccammon AT uni-bayreuth.de>
  • To: mix AT lists.kfki.hu
  • Subject: [Mix] Postdoc position: "Mössbauer spectroscopy of reactive iron species“
  • Date: Wed, 29 Jul 2009 16:47:09 +0200

On behalf of my colleague, Stefan Peiffer, I would like to draw your attention to the following available post-doc position. Please forward it to anyone who might be interested.

Postdoc position in Biogeochemistry
"Mössbauer spectroscopy of reactive iron species“

Iron oxides in groundwater play a key role for electron transfer reactions and adsorption of redox sensitive compounds and thus for the overall biogeochemistry in aquifers. Bulk properties of solid iron phases have been extensively studied using classical mineralogical (e.g. XRD) and wet chemical techniques. However, surface rather than bulk properties of iron minerals control chemical and microbial reactions at these minerals. Thus, an in depth understanding of the dynamics, chemistry and reactivity of reactive species at iron mineral surfaces is hampered by limited availability of appropriate surface-sensitive and in situ techniques.

In this project we will apply and refine Mössbauer spectroscopic methods as a tool for in situ characterisation of reactive iron phases, especially when present at surfaces or as a minor fraction compared to other minerals. Specifically, we will focus on iron-sulfur and iron-DOM interactions in model systems in the presence and absence of microbes. This research is the core part of the DFG-funded research unit “Electron transfer processes in anoxic aquifers” (Forschergruppe “e-TraP”, http://www.bayceer.uni-bayreuth.de/fg_ct/) and works at the interface of geochemical and microbiological subprojects.

We offer a postdoc position for 2-3 years in a stimulating international and interdisciplinary environment with numerous opportunities for cooperation with geochemists, microbiologists and environmental scientists. The working place will be at the Center of Applied Geosciences at the University of Tübingen in the research groups for Environmental Mineralogy and Geomicrobiology (http://www.ifg.uni-tuebingen.de/departments/zag/index.html). Our laboratories are fully equipped and prove access to state of the art facilities for geochemical, mineralogical and microbial work including a cutting edge Mössbauer system with a Helium-cryostat unit (4.2 K).

Applicants should be experienced in Mössbauer spectroscopy with a background in environmental sciences and/or geochemistry. Furthermore, previous experience with geochemical modelling software would be advantageous. Applicants should have good communication skills and should be highly motivated and committed to pursuing interdisciplinary research focusing on environmental issues. The salary will be according to TVL E13 (100%), start date is October 2009 or as soon as possible thereafter. The appointment will be arranged by the administration of the University of Tübingen. We particularly encourage female applicants to apply for this position. Disabled persons will be preferred in case of equal qualification.

Please send your application by email before August 31st (2009) to: Prof. Stefan Haderlein (haderlein AT uni-tuebingen.de) and Prof. Andreas Kappler (andreas.kappler AT uni-tuebingen.de) as well as CC to Prof. Stefan Peiffer (s.peiffer AT uni-bayreuth.de)

  • [Mix] Postdoc position: "Mössbauer spectroscopy of reactive iron species“, Catherine McCammon, 07/29/2009