fizinfo - [Fizinfo] SZTE IP seminar: Oliver B. Wright, 10.17.2024. 3:00 pm, Budó auditorium &/ online

fizinfo AT lists.kfki.hu

Subject: ELFT HÍRADÓ

[Fizinfo] SZTE IP seminar: Oliver B. Wright, 10.17.2024. 3:00 pm, Budó auditorium &/ online

  • From: mcsete AT physx.u-szeged.hu
  • To: fizinfo AT lists.kfki.hu
  • Subject: [Fizinfo] SZTE IP seminar: Oliver B. Wright, 10.17.2024. 3:00 pm, Budó auditorium &/ online
  • Date: Wed, 17 Apr 2024 02:35:21 +0200

Seminar

Speaker: Professor Oliver B. Wright
Graduate School of Engineering, Osaka University
& Hokkaido University, Sapporo

Date: 3pm, 17, April (Wednesday) 2024
Location: SZTE TTIK FI, Budó auditorium & online
https://join.skype.com/MUc2Kch694Wk

Title: Coaxing sound through small apertures with metamaterials

Abstract: Acoustic metamaterials are non-naturally occurring structures consisting of arrangements of sub-wavelength resonators designed to manipulate the propagation of sound. After presenting the basics of this subject, I will present several examples of metamaterial-enabled acoustic extraordinary transmission, that is, enhanced acoustic transmission through small holes or structures, namely, enhanced transmission of membrane covered holes, from water to air, of surface acoustic waves on solids and of sound transmission through small rods. Finally, I will discuss the curious case of enhanced transmission through bare holes without resonance using the language of metamaterials.

Electromagnetic metamaterials, consisting of sub-wavelength oscillators that show effective negative permeability or permittivity have led to many applications over the last 20 years. In parallel, acoustic metamaterials showing effective negative density or modulus were introduced [1,2]. Curious phenomena such as acoustic negative refraction, superlensing and cloaking were demonstrated. Here I will present and review the topic of metamaterial-based extraordinary acoustic transmission, i.e., the passage of more acoustic energy than expected through small sub-acoustic-wavelength apertures.

I will first present our experimental work in this field using kHz airborne acoustics [3], for which giant transmission was demonstrated, and also simulations in solid acoustics of surface or bulk waves [4-5]. Closely related to extraordinary acoustic transmission is the phenomenon of enhanced transmission between acoustically mismatched media. I will also review experimental work on the enormously enhanced passage of acoustic waves from water to air based on the use of a kHz acoustic metasurface [6].

Finally, I will present very recent kHz experiments on the transmission of airborne sound through bare holes without the occurrence of any resonance [7]. Although resonances are essential in optics to overcome poor transmission through bare holes, this is not so in fluid acoustics. A plate perforated with bare holes can transmit nearly all the sound normally incident on it, which has practical applications in sound transparent screens. However, this phenomenon has not previously been systematically interpreted in terms of extraordinary transmission. I will present such an analysis, and hope to make you appreciate how sound-transparent screens with holes at bank service counters work, and how to optimize them.

[1] Z. Liu, X. Zhang, Y. Mao, Y. Zhu, Z. Yang, C. T. Chan, and P. Sheng, Science 289, 1734 (2000).
[2] S. H. Lee and O. B. Wright, Phys. Rev. B 93, 024302 (2016).
[3] J. J. Park, K. J. B. Lee, O. B. Wright, M. K. Jung, and S. H. Lee, Phys. Rev. Lett. 110, 244302 (2013).
[4] S. Mezil, K. Chonan, P. H. Otsuka, M.Tomoda, O. Matsuda, S. H. Lee, and O. B. Wright, Sci. Rep. 6, 33380 (2016).
[5] T. Devaux, H. Tozawa, P. H. Otsuka, S. Mezil, M. Tomoda, O. Matsuda, E. Bok, S. H. Lee, and O. B. Wright, Sci. Adv. 6, 8507 (2020)
[6] E. Bok, J. J. Park, H. Choi, C. K. Han, O. B. Wright, and S. H. Lee, Phys. Rev. Lett. 120, 044302 (2018).
[7] E. Bok, J. J. Park, A. A. Maznev, S. H. Lee, and O. B. Wright, Phys. Rev. B 108, 144111 (2023)

Everyone is welcome to attend.

Dr. Mária Csete

  • [Fizinfo] SZTE IP seminar: Oliver B. Wright, 10.17.2024. 3:00 pm, Budó auditorium &/ online, mcsete, 04/17/2024