fizinfo - [Fizinfo] CSFK seminar -- Hedieh Abdollahi (Institute for Research in Fundamental Sciences (IPM), Iran) -- Date: Mar 14 (Thursday)

fizinfo AT lists.kfki.hu

Subject: ELFT HÍRADÓ

[Fizinfo] CSFK seminar -- Hedieh Abdollahi (Institute for Research in Fundamental Sciences (IPM), Iran) -- Date: Mar 14 (Thursday)

  • From: vidakris AT konkoly.hu
  • To: seminar AT konkoly.hu
  • Subject: [Fizinfo] CSFK seminar -- Hedieh Abdollahi (Institute for Research in Fundamental Sciences (IPM), Iran) -- Date: Mar 14 (Thursday)
  • Date: Thu, 07 Mar 2024 10:52:52 +0100
  • Dkim-filter: OpenDKIM Filter v2.10.3 mail.csfk.org 0D8F924886582

Szemináriumi meghívó / Invitation to a seminar

CSFK CSI SZEMINÁRIUM / KONKOLY OBSERVATORY SEMINAR

Date: Mar 14 (Thursday) 14:00

Hedieh Abdollahi (Institute for Research in Fundamental Sciences (IPM), Iran):
Star Formation History and Dust Production Rate in And IX, the Closest
Satellite of the Andromeda Galaxy

We present a photometric study of the resolved stellar populations in And IX,
the closest satellite to M31, a metal-poor and low-mass dwarf spheroidal
galaxy. We estimate a distance modulus of 24.56 mag (∼ 816.58 kpc) based on
the tip of the red giant branch (TRGB). By probing the variability of
asymptotic giant branch stars (AGB), we study the star formation history of
And IX. We identified 50 long period variables (LPVs) in And IX using the
Isaac Newton Telescope (INT) in two filters, Sloan i' and Harris V. In this
study, we selected LPVs within two half-light radii (∼ 5 arcmin) with
amplitudes in the range of 0.20 to 2.20 mag. It is found that the peak of
star formation reached ∼ 8.2 ± 3.1 × 10^−4 M⊙/yr at ≈ 6 Gyr ago. Our findings
suggest an outside-in galaxy formation scenario for And IX with a quenching
occurring 3.65 Gyr ago with the SFR in the order of 2.0 × 10^−4 M⊙/yr at
redshift < 0.5. We calculate the total stellar mass by integrating the star
formation
rate (SFR) within two half-light radii to be ∼ 3.0 × 10^5 M⊙. By employing
the spectral energy distribution (SED) fitting for observed LPVs in And IX,
we evaluate the mass-loss rate in the range of 10^−7 to 10^−5 M⊙/yr. Finally,
we show that the total mass deposition to the interstellar medium (ISM) is ∼
2.4 × 10^−4 M⊙/yr from the C- and O-rich type of dust-enshrouded LPVs. The
ratio of the total mass returned to the ISM by LPVs to the total stellar mass
is ∼ 8.0 × 10^−10 1/yr, and so at this rate, it would take ∼ 1 Gyr to
reproduce this galaxy.

The seminar will be held live in the Detre hall with audience, but also
streamed online via Zoom. If you are unable to attend the presentation in
person, you can join us via this link
https://us06web.zoom.us/j/82806911982?pwd=SVZpT0syQ1J6dHBvSkF4N2dXNEQ0dz09
or the meeting ID: 828 0691 1982 and passcode: 206265

Everyone is welcome!

Krisztián Vida, Ramon Brasser
organizers
https://konkoly.hu/k-szeminariumok

  • [Fizinfo] CSFK seminar -- Hedieh Abdollahi (Institute for Research in Fundamental Sciences (IPM), Iran) -- Date: Mar 14 (Thursday), vidakris, 03/07/2024