fizinfo - [Fizinfo] Invitation to a seminar -- András Kovács (Konkoly Observatory, Budapest, Hungary) -- Date: Apr 27, 2023 (Thursday)

fizinfo AT lists.kfki.hu

Subject: ELFT HÍRADÓ

[Fizinfo] Invitation to a seminar -- András Kovács (Konkoly Observatory, Budapest, Hungary) -- Date: Apr 27, 2023 (Thursday)

  • From: vidakris AT konkoly.hu
  • To: fizinfo AT lists.kfki.hu
  • Subject: [Fizinfo] Invitation to a seminar -- András Kovács (Konkoly Observatory, Budapest, Hungary) -- Date: Apr 27, 2023 (Thursday)
  • Date: Fri, 21 Apr 2023 16:33:05 +0200
  • Dkim-filter: OpenDKIM Filter v2.10.3 mail.csfk.org 7129C1D5823A3

Szemináriumi meghívó / Invitation to a seminar

CSFK CSI SZEMINÁRIUM / KONKOLY OBSERVATORY SEMINAR

Date: Apr 27, 2023 (Thursday) 14:00

András Kovács (Konkoly Observatory, Budapest, Hungary):
From quasars to cosmic voids: new probes of dark energy with extreme cosmic
structures

An over-arching goal of cosmology is a reconstruction of how minuscule
density fluctuations seen in the cosmic microwave background (CMB)
anisotropies grow to the intricate cosmic web. The consensus LCDM
cosmological model has shown remarkable explanatory power over a variety of
cosmic scales and epochs, and it narrates a reassuring story of a universe
currently filled mostly with dark matter and dark energy. Yet, this
explanation is not fully satisfactory, because the actual nature of the dark
components remains a puzzle. In this presentation, I will provide an overview
of the current developments and interesting tensions in cosmology, and what
our group is hoping to achieve in the coming years. Supported by a LendĂĽlet
grant, we develop new tools to comprehend the elusive dark energy component
by using state-of-the-art galaxy and quasar survey data sets, probing the
growth rate of structure in extreme environments near density peaks traced by
powerful QSOs, as well as in dark and
empty voids on 100 Mpc scales. The main goal of the planned 5-year program
is to make decisive cross-correlation measurements of such super-structures
and the CMB in un-probed, key redshift ranges, where the standard and
alternative models of dark energy differ most significantly (z > 1). My
groundwork results from the SDSS/BOSS, Pan-STARRS, and DES surveys put me in
a strong position to now lead the planned new LSST-DESC, Euclid, J-PAS, and
WEAVE-QSO analyses. With these novel probes of the cosmic web, we will
determine whether some as-yet unknown physical effects or systematic biases
complicate the picture in today's cosmology. Either way we will gather new
knowledge about the Universe on the largest scales.

The seminar will be held live in the Detre hall with audience, but also
streamed online via Zoom. If you are unable to attend the presentation in
person, you can join us via this link
https://us06web.zoom.us/j/82806911982?pwd=SVZpT0syQ1J6dHBvSkF4N2dXNEQ0dz09
or the meeting ID: 828 0691 1982 and passcode: 206265

Everyone is welcome!

Krisztián Vida, Ramon Brasser
organizers
https://konkoly.hu/szeminar/szeminarium.shtml

  • [Fizinfo] Invitation to a seminar -- András Kovács (Konkoly Observatory, Budapest, Hungary) -- Date: Apr 27, 2023 (Thursday), vidakris, 04/21/2023