fizinfo - [Fizinfo] ELTE particle physics seminar - 11 April (fwd)

fizinfo AT lists.kfki.hu

Subject: ELFT HÍRADÓ

[Fizinfo] ELTE particle physics seminar - 11 April (fwd)

  • From: Andras LASZLO <laszlo.andras AT wigner.hu>
  • To: fizinfo AT lists.kfki.hu
  • Subject: [Fizinfo] ELTE particle physics seminar - 11 April (fwd)
  • Date: Thu, 6 Apr 2023 13:41:41 +0200 (CEST)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Thu, 6 Apr 2023 13:34:43 +0200 (CEST)
From: Daniel Nogradi <nogradi AT bodri.elte.hu>
To: Daniel Nogradi <nogradi AT bodri.elte.hu>
Subject: ELTE particle physics seminar - 11 April

Date/Time: 11 April, Tuesday, 14:15

Location: ELTE TTK, second floor, 2.54 Novobatzky room

Speaker: David Pesznyak (ELTE)

Title: Fighting the sign problem in a chiral random matrix model with contour deformations

Abstract:

First principle studies of Euclidean quantum field theories at finite chemical potential are hindered by the so-called complex action problem, i.e. the Boltzmann weights of the path integral cannot be regarded as a probability density function. Upon reweighting from an appropriately modified theory the complex action problem reduces to the sign problem: cancellations in the sampled data lead to small signal-to-noise ratios in the expectation values of observables. The sign problem is present in a number of theories, e.g. QCD at finite baryon density or the Hubbard model away from half-filling. Our goal is to ameliorate the severity of the sign problem through complex integration contour deformations in the path integrals. In the presented work we study the chiral random matrix theory of Stephanov - a toy model of QCD at finite baryochemical potential - which also has a sign problem. We studied integration contour deformations with simple ansatze and optimized their parameters with machine learning techniques. Furthermore, we also investigated contour deformations via the holomorphic flow equations, which is an alternative way to obtain integration manifolds with a less severe sign problem. Our findings show that the optimization of a single parameter leads to a considerable improvement in the severity of the sign problem, and that it is also exponential in the degrees of freedom of the system.

If you no longer would like to receive seminar announcements please send an email to nogradi AT bodri.elte.hu and also if you know of someone who would like to get these emails please send me their addresses.

  • [Fizinfo] ELTE particle physics seminar - 11 April (fwd), Andras LASZLO, 04/06/2023