fizinfo - [Fizinfo] Invitation to a seminar -- Jill Tarter (SETI Institute, Mountain View, California) -- Date: Feb 16, 2023 (Thursday)

fizinfo AT lists.kfki.hu

Subject: ELFT HÍRADÓ

[Fizinfo] Invitation to a seminar -- Jill Tarter (SETI Institute, Mountain View, California) -- Date: Feb 16, 2023 (Thursday)

  • From: vidakris AT konkoly.hu
  • To: fizinfo AT lists.kfki.hu
  • Subject: [Fizinfo] Invitation to a seminar -- Jill Tarter (SETI Institute, Mountain View, California) -- Date: Feb 16, 2023 (Thursday)
  • Date: Fri, 10 Feb 2023 10:00:00 +0100
  • Dkim-filter: OpenDKIM Filter v2.10.3 mail.csfk.org 672541D1E6BB3

Szemináriumi meghívó / Invitation to a seminar

CSFK CSI SZEMINÁRIUM / KONKOLY OBSERVATORY SEMINAR

Date: Feb 16, 2023 (Thursday) 18:00

Jill Tarter (SETI Institute, Mountain View, California):
A Cosmic Perspective: Searching for Aliens, Finding Ourselves

Are we alone? Humans have been asking this question throughout history. We
want to know where we came from, how we fit into the cosmos, and where we are
going. We want to know whether there is life beyond the Earth and whether any
of it is intelligent. Since the middle of the twentieth century we have had
new tools that permit us to embark on a scientific exploration to try to
answer this old question. We no longer have to ask the priests and
philosophers what we should believe about extraterrestrial life; we can
explore and discover what's actually out there. Our tools are getting ever
better. We have discovered extremophiles in the most unexpected places on
this planet and we have discovered that there really are far more planets
than stars out there. We haven't yet found life beyond Earth. Evidence for
extraterrestrial life may turn out to be ambiguous, as illustrated by the
recent debate over the claim of Phosphine in the clouds of Venus, and whether
this might imply biology. Evi
dence for technosignatures could be less ambiguous. There is a vast amount
of other potentially-habitable real estate to explore beyond our solar
system, and there are many plans to do just that. The 21st century will be
the century in which we will find some answers. As we look up and look out,
we are forced to see ourselves from a cosmic perspective; a perspecive that
shows us as all the same, all Earthlings. This perspective is fundamental to
finding a way to sustain life on Earth for the long future.

The seminar will be held online via Zoom. You can join us via this link
https://us06web.zoom.us/j/82806911982?pwd=SVZpT0syQ1J6dHBvSkF4N2dXNEQ0dz09
or the meeting ID: 828 0691 1982 and passcode: 206265

Everyone is welcome!

Krisztián Vida, Ramon Brasser
organizers
https://konkoly.hu/szeminar/szeminarium.shtml

  • [Fizinfo] Invitation to a seminar -- Jill Tarter (SETI Institute, Mountain View, California) -- Date: Feb 16, 2023 (Thursday), vidakris, 02/10/2023