fizinfo - [Fizinfo] Stat Fiz Szeminarium

fizinfo AT lists.kfki.hu

Subject: ELFT HÍRADÓ

[Fizinfo] Stat Fiz Szeminarium

  • From: StatFizSzeminar <statfiz AT glu.elte.hu>
  • To: fizinfo AT lists.kfki.hu
  • Subject: [Fizinfo] Stat Fiz Szeminarium
  • Date: Sun, 22 Sep 2019 15:32:51 +0200

# # # # # #

ELTE TTK Fizikai Intézet
STATISZTIKUS FIZIKAI SZEMINÁRIUM

2019. szeptember 25.

szerda

11.00

Ulrike Feudel

Carl von Ossietzky University

"Transient chaos in networked systems:
Desynchronization and state-dependent
vulnerability"

We analyze the final state sensitivity of
nonlocal networks of Duffing oscillators
with respect to the initial conditions of
their units. By changing the initial
conditions of a single network unit, we
perturb an initially synchronized state,
which is the only attractor for a single
unit. Depending on the perturbation strength,
we observe the existence of two possible
network long-term states: (i) The network
neutralizes the perturbation effects and
returns to its synchronized configuration.
(ii) The perturbation leads the network to
an alternative desynchronized state. By
computing uncertainty exponents of a two-
dimensional cross section of the state space,
we find the existence of a fractal set of
initial conditions converging to this d
esynchronized solution, which appears to be
either a new attractor or a chaotic saddle,
i.e. an unstable chaotic set on which
trajectories persist for extremely long times.
Furthermore, we report the existence of an
intricate time dependence of the vulnerability
of the synchronized states in a network composed
of identical electronic circuits. By perturbing
the synchronized dynamics in consecutive
instants of time, we find that synchronization
breaks down for some time instants while it
persists for others. The mechanism behind this
intriguing phenomenon is again the existence
of an unstable chaotic set close to the s
ynchronized trajectory. Both phenomena
highlight the crucial role played by unstable
chaotic set leading to transient chaotic
dynamics in networked systems. We discuss
that these phenomena are generic for large
classes of nonlinear dynamical systems.

1117, Budapest, Pázmány P. sétány 1/A, Északi tömb 2.54
honlap: http://glu.elte.hu/~statfiz