fizinfo - [Fizinfo] Python and Research (PyaR) tutorial

fizinfo AT lists.kfki.hu

Subject: ELFT HÍRADÓ

[Fizinfo] Python and Research (PyaR) tutorial

  • From: szpl <szpl AT metal.elte.hu>
  • To: <fizinfo AT lists.kfki.hu>
  • Subject: [Fizinfo] Python and Research (PyaR) tutorial
  • Date: Thu, 02 May 2019 10:03:03 +0200

Az alábbi levelet Frei Zsolt, az ELTE Fizikai Intézete igazgatójának kérésére
továbbítom.

Elsősorban középiskolás tanárok figyelmébe, a jó diákjaik invitálására.

Begin forwarded message:

From: Puragra Guhathakurta <raja AT ucolick.org>
Subject: Python and Research (PyaR) tutorial
Date: 2019. April 18. 12:08:27 CEST
To: Salman Ahsan <sahsan AT gmail.com>, Ajay Gopinathan <agopinathan AT ucmerced.edu>, Becky Parker
<beckyparker AT researchinschools.org>, Zsolt Frei <frei AT alcyone.elte.hu>, Devin Carberry
<devin AT ourdream.school>, Stephen Harris <stephen AT ourdream.school>
Cc: Raja Guha Thakurta <raja AT ucolick.org>

Dear friends,

PyaR (Python and Research) is a free virtual Python tutorial that covers the
basics of Python programming via a series of 6 Jupyter notebooks that are
derived from the actual code used in a 2015 scientific journal article on the
Andromeda galaxy led by my former UC Santa Cruz PhD student. We developed the
tutorial by replacing key lines of code in the notebooks with coding
instructions; students are expected to recreate these lines of code as they
work through the tutorial.

Here is the link to the document that describes the PyaR tutorial:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/16QuhwolhX0URjpyPZ7sfWy107aBuvq3E9-LPyT8Nz68/edit?usp=sharing

The next offering of the virtual (via Zoom and Slack) mentored sessions for the
PyaR tutorial by my graduate students and myself will be on May 4, 11, and 18
(all Saturdays) from 8–10 AM PDT. The sessions will include Q&A on Python
issues and will cover the key astrophysical concepts that are relevant for the
tutorial. Please spread the word among students.

Students who are interested in participating – whether synchronously or
asynchronously – should please fill out this Google form. Among other things,
this will prompt us to send interested students an email invitation to join
the PyaR Slack channel.

The last two offerings of the PyaR tutorial – November 2018 and March 2019 –
each drew a global audience of high school, college, and even middle school,
and graduate students. The audience for the May 2019 sessions promises to be
a global one as well.

Best regards,
Raja GuhaThakurta

Raja GuhaThakurta
Professor/Astronomer, UCO/Lick Observatory, Dept of Astronomy and Astrophysics
University of California Santa Cruz, 1156 High Street, Santa Cruz, CA 95064
Cell: 408.455.3036 / Office: 831.459.5169

  • [Fizinfo] Python and Research (PyaR) tutorial, szpl, 05/02/2019